Author Topic: Understanding Cache use when data is stored in OAM, no cache date values  (Read 3435 times)

LWagner

We received errors suggesting our cache space in use in OMVS was low, so I added two new cache files.  We just received errors, ARS0131E username "NO LOGICAL PLACE TO RETRIEVE OBJECT >1145FAAA<".  We do have cache storage configured properly, since our system runs fine, and we have thousands of document retrievals daily.

Should we simply run arsmaint -c to clear out old files from the cache storage system ?

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
Larry - label this one under "not proven, Ed Arnold is uncertain."   I don't have a good grasp on ARS0131E.  That message, ARS0131E, I *think* is also issued when there is a virtual storage "problem".  I put "problem" in quotes because virtual storage can get fragmented.  Also, if ARSSOCKD is fetching data faster than it can get it written to a client it can get backed up.  Again, none of this is proven, just conjecture on my part.

Do you think an actual error is occurring somewhere or is it just an ugly message?  (it is an E for error message I'll admit)

Ed
#zOS #ODF

LWagner

We ran an arsmaint -v, and it showed invalid permissions on two new cache directories.
Decided to make the ownnership the same in the 2nd and 3rd directories as the first, 1:0 (root:none).
This turned out to be a bad idea.  Message number 87 messages now fail to write to the system log, but data loads.  We track a lot with the 87's.

I did not check access after the CHOWN change.  It was only 700 on the two new cache directories.  I just used CHMOD -R to make it 777 on all three cache systems. 

Will see how this behaves.

LWagner

Still getting 198's from arsmaint -v
Invalid ownership and/or permissions on cache file/directory >/ars/cache1/ARSDBASE/12034/LPB/DOC/5ZXB1<

by the hundreds.

ran  chmod -R 777, so it is not permissions.

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
Larry - another area that I'm not an expert on, but I think it might be tied into the GID of the userids involved.

Take a look at my second append here:

http://www.odusergroup.org/forums/index.php?topic=944.0

Ed
#zOS #ODF

LWagner