Author Topic: Migration of OnDemand applications from solaris to linux  (Read 3934 times)

rajesh

Migration of OnDemand applications from solaris to linux
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:02:23 AM »
Hi,

Currently i am working on OnDemand Migration from solaris to linux platform. We have completed the database base migration from Solaris to linux platform(IBM DB2).

My question: how should i migrate the application, application groups, folders, security from Solaris to Linux server so that it should replicate the same as the current solaris server with out any issue. please suggest the command process or user interface process.

Kindly any one suggest.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Migration of OnDemand applications from solaris to linux
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »
Hello Rajesh,

That's pretty easy. I've done it a couple of time.

You have 2 methods. The slow and the fast one! :-) We are here only talking about CMOD and not TSM.

Basically the slow one is simply exporting all objects and reinserting the objects in the new CMOD. Quite simple, quite long...

The fast way is the following:

I assume the following:
  • Same user name on the solaris is used on the linux box
  • You are using exactly the same directory structure for Linux as it was in Solaris

• Export Solaris DB2 database with the commande DB2DUMP
  • Reinsert the DB2 Dump into the new Linux DB2 Database
  • Copy the ars.cfg / ars.cache / ars.dbfs / ars.ini in the Linux box (with some minor changes for the DB filesystem and for the TSM connection)
  • Copy the cache from the Solaris box to the Linux box. Please be careful with the soft links, a tar for the copy is maybe the better choice
  • Start CMOD on the Linux box
  • Depending on your god, pray that it works the first time :-) otherwise, you need to check the permissions, that everything is setup correctly in the Linux

Of course you need to test it very carefully, and I didn't explain all the special cases, for example if you want to change the CMOD Instance user, if you want to change the cache location, etc... etc...
But basically it all ends to the basic step I've described with some variations :-D
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

rajesh

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:54:58 AM »
Hi Alessandro Perucchi

Thank you for your quick response. So below is the process i need to follow please correct me if am wrong.

1. We need to export all the stuff in Solaris server(application, groups, folder) before that database should be migrated from solaris to linux environment.
2. We need to export the cache using ONDemand client.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »
Hello Rajesh,

I think you've misunderstood something because what the process makes no sense.

I will try to explain it in another way.

You have two ways to do a migration

1) One slow

The slow one, with the pre-requisite, that the Linux box is already an empty working CMOD Instance, with an empty TSM (if you use TSM):
  • You export with the Admin Client all objects (Users, Group,Storage Set, Application Groups, Folders, Cabinets, ...) from the Solaris to the Linux CMOD server
  • You use the command "ARSDOC GET ..." in order to export EVERY documents (with options -cNg) from the Solaris Box
  • You use the command "ARSLOAD -X G ..." to reimport every document in the Linux Box

That works wonderfully, but this is slow.... really slow...

2) The fast one

I assume the following:

• Same user name on the solaris is used on the linux box
  • You are using exactly the same directory structure for Linux as it was in Solaris

And then
  • Export Solaris DB2 database with the commande DB2DUMP, this is a pure DB2 process, please check with your DBA
  • Reinsert the DB2 Dump into the new Linux DB2 Database, this is a pure DB2 process, please check with your DBA
  • Copy the ars.cfg / ars.cache / ars.dbfs / ars.ini in the Linux box (with some minor changes for the DB filesystem and for the TSM connection) with Unix commands and Unix editors, please check with your Unix Admin
  • In Unix copy the cache from the Solaris box to the Linux box using Unix commands. Please be careful with the soft links, a tar for the copy is maybe the better choice, please check with your Unix Admin
  • Start CMOD on the Linux box
  • Depending on your god, pray that it works the first time :-) otherwise, you need to check the permissions, that everything is setup correctly in the Linux, need to check mainly with the Unix team

Of course you need to test it very carefully, and I didn't explain all the special cases, for example if you want to change the CMOD Instance user, if you want to change the cache location, etc... etc...
But basically it all ends to the basic step I've described with some variations :-D

And finally, if you are not sure on how to do it, even with my explanation... then, please, I strongly advise you to contact some CMOD professional (IBM or Business Partners), because this is NOT something to do with little or no experience with Unix, DB2, TSM and CMOD.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:09:09 AM by Alessandro Perucchi »
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »
Migrations are tough because they're so complicated and unique, and any errors in configuration (either on the legacy system or the new one) can have unintended consequences in the long run.

The best advice I have is to practice as much as you can, first migrating a test system, then testing the migration of the production server to the new hardware -- as many times as it takes to get it right.

Good luck!

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

rajesh

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:45:19 AM »
Thank you Perucchi & JD for your valuable suggestions. Really that helps.

I have done this migration in windows platfrom but not in Linux or solaris environment. as per your Second process i have successed in windows platform in past.

I have few question on the below two ways.

First Way is very simple but can we pull the all the documents from one folder/application group using single command. Can you provide me a sample script which works so that i can modify accordingly and try to work on it. In IBM document i can see many scripts but i am not able find the single command which pulls all the documents from one folder using single command

Second Way: We need to take the help of linux team to migrate/copy the current CACHES from Solaris to linux. Please correct me if i am wrong. we need to tar before the migrate/copy the cache from solaris to linux.

Is there any possiblity to provide me already worked screenshot document for ARSDOC GET & ARSLOAD commands then that really helps me a lot

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
First Way is very simple but can we pull the all the documents from one folder/application group using single command. Can you provide me a sample script which works so that i can modify accordingly and try to work on it. In IBM document i can see many scripts but i am not able find the single command which pulls all the documents from one folder using single command

arsdoc get -h INSTANCE -u user -p password -f Folder -g AppG -cNg -o output -i "where 1=1"

Second Way: We need to take the help of linux team to migrate/copy the current CACHES from Solaris to linux. Please correct me if i am wrong. we need to tar before the migrate/copy the cache from solaris to linux.

maybe a

cd /cache_directory_in_solaris
tar cvf /somewhere/cache.tar

then copy the cache.tar on linux
and do

cd /cache_directoy_in_linux
tar xvf /somewhere/cache.tar

should do the trick, especially if the cache in Solaris and the cache in Linux are in the same location.
If they are not in the same location, then you need to check and redo the links.
If you ask me how to do it... please check with you Unix / Linux admin.
Alessandro Perucchi

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
Rajesh,

From your request and questions, I don't have anything else to say now on this topic.
What you want is a "copy-paste" solution that you can use. And as Justin just said, each single migration is different.
What I have given you is just a template, but to have the final migration there are a LOT of things to take care of, and each single situation is different.

That's why if you are unable to do it yourself, and cannot test it a lot, then please ask professionals, otherwise... sorry to be blunt... forget it, you won't be able to do it.

Kind regards,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

rajesh

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 07:10:38 AM »
Thank you for all your support and messages,

I have completed the Migration of OnDemand application from Solairs to Linux environment with out any issue and from last 1 week the new server is running fine.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:56 AM »
Congratulation
Alessandro Perucchi