Author Topic: Retrieve batch series of TIFF files  (Read 3784 times)

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Retrieve batch series of TIFF files
« on: January 19, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
Hello,

I have a requirement where the customer would like to retrieve a large amount of TIFF images from CMOD (9.5/db2/tsm).

They would like to base the tiff images put into one file for them to view. I am just wondering if this is possible..

Here is the syntax that I have been using and I am getting only the first page of the tiff

arsdoc get -h <host> -u <user> -p <password> -o <output> -c -f "<folder>" -i "WHERE rptdate >= 15919 and rptdate <= 16436 AND accnum = #######"

Thanks,

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:13:16 PM by jsquizz »
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Retrieve batch series of TIFF files
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:29 AM »
Hello

What do you mean by putting a lot tiff images into one file?

for me and CMOD it could mean two things:

1) Concatenate several valid tiff files together, and then you get only 1 file, but from a tiff perspective, only the first file is "accessible" the rest are not, unless you split them according to the offset and length of each valid tiff file.

2) Generate a new tiff file, and each page of this multipage tiff file will get the content of your several tiff files.

With the "arsdoc get -c" you will get ONLY the first version, and therefore you can read only the first file, but the reste are inaccessible at all... and to get access to the others, then you need to split this large file in smaller ones, and then each file will be again a valid tiff file in itself.

Basically what you want to do it not possible with CMOD at all from a standard point of view.
If you want to have a multitiff image, with all the images that are in this query, then you have at least 2 ways to do it:

1)
    a) You extract all files as single tiff files (without the -c options)
    b) You find a program that generate a single multipage tiff from all the files that you retrieved from step 1.a).

2) You write a Java program that will generate a new tiff file, and will use ODWEK to add tiff image pages to it, as soon as the query find a new document with a tiff included. (basically step 1.a and 1.b) covered by a custom code written in Java and ODWEK).

Maybe others have others idea, but these 2 are what I can think of, in 2 minutes :D
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
It's not 100% what you want, but this works very well:

Extract all the TIFFs individually (by leaving off the -c option) and then drag-and-drop them all into Adobe Acrobat (not Reader).  It will ask you if you want to convert them all into a single PDF.  (Yes, you do.)  Then, you have the option of optimizing the images inside the PDF by converting/compressing/downsampling them, and you probably also want to do that to shrink the size of the PDF file.

Hope that helps!

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:46:56 AM »
so basically I have two choices

1) create 2xxx individual TIF's
2) custom code

lets see what IBM has to say.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
It's not 100% what you want, but this works very well:

Extract all the TIFFs individually (by leaving off the -c option) and then drag-and-drop them all into Adobe Acrobat (not Reader).  It will ask you if you want to convert them all into a single PDF.  (Yes, you do.)  Then, you have the option of optimizing the images inside the PDF by converting/compressing/downsampling them, and you probably also want to do that to shrink the size of the PDF file.

Wow I didn't know it was possible to do it like that with Adobe Acrobat... that's a nice way :-) Thanks for sharing!!!
I will sleep less dumb than I was today :D
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »
so basically I have two choices

1) create 2xxx individual TIF's
2) custom code

lets see what IBM has to say.

What you must remember... CMOD is an archive, not an image handling library... If it was archived as 2xxxxx individual tiff files, then you will retrieve 2xxxxx individual tiff files.

Text files and AFP are here treated differently, because CMOD was created in the 90's specifically to handling AFP, by splitting documents from resources, and optimizing the disk space as much as possible.

This possibility is also possible to have with PDF since a few years ago... but all other file formats... they are stored as they are.

And if you have a multipage tiff, then you must have a tool before CMOD to split the tiff and archive it as 2xxxx individual tiff files. Because CMOD doesn't know how to handle TIFF files, and the same applies to mp3, doc, xls, divx, ppt, png, gif, jpg, etc... etc... because CMOD is an archive system with some profound knowledge about AFP and now with PDF, but that's all!!

So basically, yes... :-) I am interested to see what my colleagues at IBM will answer to your question!! :-) If it is the same (or something similar) as me, or if they have some other magic trick behind their sleeves and they have a way to do it with CMOD standard tools :-D I am really interested!

Alessandro Perucchi

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »
I will keep you folks posted