Author Topic: Any advice or tips before we migrate from v9 to 9.5 ?  (Read 2137 times)

bruce.mchendry

Any advice or tips before we migrate from v9 to 9.5 ?
« on: February 18, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »
Hello,
We have a Windows Server 2012 install, remote SQL 2012 DB and are running ICN as our interface on a Websphere v8 back end (AIX 7.1). I'm just curious if anyone else with the same configuration has done the migration and has any "lessons learned" they can share ? I've attached our tech map (in Visio) for reference. btw Important note is we do have a custom load daemon program running that IBM created for us. It is taking the input FTP'd files and pre-processing before they hit arsload. Any info is appreciated !
Cheers,
Bruce

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice or tips before we migrate from v9 to 9.5 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:12 PM »
Nope, should be "straightforward".
The only thing that you need to be aware, is that CMOD V9.5 doesn't have 2 packages anymore, one for CMOD server and one for ODWEK, they are both in the same package.
And NO, you can install one or the other, it is a all or nothing install.
If you want to use CMOD/ODWEK V9.5 in you ICN servers, then you MUST upgrade to V8.5X (at the time of writing the latest version/fixpack is 8.5.5.8), because you must use Java V7+.
And if you have some other tools that is using the Java API from ODWEK, then you must upgrade the Java to V7+.
That is for the moment the biggest "problem" I had with some customer, where going to Java 7+ was at that time simply not possible...

I am curious, why do you have ICN on AIX and CMOD on Windows? The logic would say that it should be the other way around!! What was the thinking/logic behind?
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

bruce.mchendry

Re: Any advice or tips before we migrate from v9 to 9.5 ?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:32:27 AM »
Hi and thanks Alessandro.
For lack of a better way of putting it the server set ups, well, it's a Sun Life thing. Pretty much all of apps sit on Windows servers. We have a server team that manages the servers at the OS and health level but the apps are people like myself.

I'm pretty sure historically the windows boxes populated the data center and since a lot of analysts / consultants like myself manage the apps there's more of that have windows knowledge than have Unix-AIX experience. The server teams do not touch apps at all.

The ICN part I'm really not sure how that came to be other than it's an extension of the Websphere environment which is on AIX. Most likely an internal Architects decision way back when. I've heard sometimes we looked to bring something in to the environment and the Mgt. looks at who is available and with what skill set or a team lobbies to get it. We have such a mix of new and legacy environments-apps here it's pretty crazy.

Thanks for the response and information, the one thing I hadn't looked at was Java so I have some follow up there. Great info !

Enjoy the weekend !

Cheers