Author Topic: Decrease the number of arscaches  (Read 2132 times)

Lars Bencze

• CMOD Expert at Skandia
    • View Profile
    • INACTIVE - Bezland Consulting
Decrease the number of arscaches
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:37:44 AM »
Hi guys,

One of our customers has a high number of small arscache directories. They want to change that into between 1 and 5 larger ones, because it is easier for them to maintain (plus a few other reasons).
Solaris platform. They are currently not interested in/happy about using a TSM. (But I will try to convince them, see option 3 below)

What would YOUR approach be to this?

1. Export all data, delete it, rebuild arscache structure, import/reload all data?
(Will probably not help, since System Log and System Load data is likely to be spread all over the arscaches)

2. Parse through all files, update the links (file paths) in the first arscache directory and move the actual files+folders from the other arscache directories?
(Obviously we would write a program or a script that does this! :) )

3. Install a TSM, create suitable Storage Sets on TSM and CMOD, create copies of their existing AppGroups but set storage = TSM Storage Set "x", set "cache = no", THEN export all data in an Appgroup and import it to the new AppGroup-copy, then delete the old AppGroup. (Repeat for all AppGroups).
(Probably still needs to move SL and SA data from higher arscache directories to lower ones, but a lot less to do.)
When done, stop CMOD and "undefine" excess arscaches, restart. (Obviously run arsmaint to verify arscaches afterwards)

4. Other? Please describe.

OnDemand for MP expert. #Multiplatforms #Admin #Scripts #Performance #Support #Architecture #PDFIndexing #TSM/SP #DB2 #CustomSolutions #Integration #UserExits #Migrations #Workflow #ECM #Cloud #ODApi

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Decrease the number of arscaches
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 04:42:24 AM »
1)  Remove the names of the filesystems you don't want to be used from ars.cache, except the first one.

2)  Add the names of the new cache filesystems you want to use.

You can either wait patiently for the other cache filesystems to become empty through regular arsmaint cycles, or push the old caches into the new ones.  I've written a utility specifically built for combining cache filesystems.

Integrating TSM is a whole other problem.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Decrease the number of arscaches
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:26:13 AM »
Option 1) Never, that would be crazy...

Option 2) that's what I would do.

Option 3) if the customer doesn't want TSM, then don't impose TSM. At least I will not do it if the customer doesn't want that.

Option 4) I will use option 2 in nearly all cases.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML