Author Topic: Temporarily specifying ARS_TMP  (Read 961 times)

TRDFan

Temporarily specifying ARS_TMP
« on: September 30, 2021, 06:39:52 AM »
I'm working on a large extract, and unfortunately ARS_TMP is defined to /tmp.

Since we are moving off of CMOD and basically in the middle of a change.. I can't change this.

I'm running an extract process 24/7, and the one application group filled up /tmp, causing a lovely 4am prod support call.

I'm wondering.. Is there a way that I could possibly define ARS_TMP to something like, /arsacif/tmp (which has like 500gb of space)

I loop through a list of DocID's from the DB, and retrieve them via bash script. This is completely fine and has been running 24/7 very efficiently based on our somewhat small doc count.

Code: [Select]
nohup ./getHistorical.bash APPGROUP > ./logs_APPGROUP.out &

while IFS=, read docname rdate
arsdoc get -u admin  -h archive -agcNv -G $1 -i "where doc_name='${docname}'" -o /path/extract/AG/${rdate}/${docname}
done < $1_loadIDs.list

Is it possible to set $ARS_TMP up to something temporarily just for this load process?

I've mentioned this in the past as well and IMHO, cmod 101.  ::)  ::)  ::)  :-X  :-X  :-X

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Temporarily specifying ARS_TMP
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 04:18:34 AM »
Huh.  Good question.  I'm not sure if it's the client process or the server process that uses ARS_TMP -- I would suspect it's the server, since it's in the server's ars.cfg file.

You might be able to override it on the client side, by exporting the ARS_TMP environment variable with your preferred value...

Immediately before the command you're running, use the export command:
export ARS_TMP=/arsacif/tmp
arsdoc / arsload etc. etc.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

TRDFan

Re: Temporarily specifying ARS_TMP
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 06:46:57 AM »
Huh.  Good question.  I'm not sure if it's the client process or the server process that uses ARS_TMP -- I would suspect it's the server, since it's in the server's ars.cfg file.

You might be able to override it on the client side, by exporting the ARS_TMP environment variable with your preferred value...

Immediately before the command you're running, use the export command:
export ARS_TMP=/arsacif/tmp
arsdoc / arsload etc. etc.

-JD.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking as well. I'm not sure if it will work. But, it's worth a shot.

I'd ask ibm, but our extended extended extended extended support ran out earlier last year i believe..and we're in an absolute race to get completely off of CMOD by the end of the month.

I think we had a scheduled reboot over the weekend. So i suggested that our offshore team just set the variable to the local disk with tons of space. I hope they did it so i can complete my extraction of this LARGE application group.

Update - tested export ARS_TMP=/somewhere, no bueno. We're going to just modify the cfg file
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 06:07:18 AM by TRDFan »