Support Forums > Other

The famous but illusive 33 petabyte system

(1/1)

Lars Bencze:
Hi all,

I believe I once saw a technical description of the famous OnDemand system, which allegedly holds 33 petabyte of document data on a standalone server.
But I cannot find it anymore. Does anyone have a link to where I can find detailed info on the setup of that system?

Justin Derrick:
The largest one I'm aware of is/was in the low-single-digit petabyte range.  I would suspect that the number might have been 3.3 Petabytes...  33 sounds unfathomably large, even for CMOD.

-JD.

Lars Bencze:

--- Quote from: Justin Derrick on November 03, 2022, 10:26:04 AM ---The largest one I'm aware of is/was in the low-single-digit petabyte range.  I would suspect that the number might have been 3.3 Petabytes...  33 sounds unfathomably large, even for CMOD.

-JD.

--- End quote ---

True, but still, IBM likes to brag 8) tell about it - here's a quote by Brian Phelps, available online:

--- Quote ---IBM has thousands of archive and retrieval customers using CM OnDemand (CMOD), the largest of which has over 33 petabytes under management, with many others in the same size range.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps I misrecall slightly - 33 Petabytes is the max size one vendor's Storage repository can handle, and maybe it was 33 Billion documents in one system? Or Trillion ??? Anyways it was a huge number, that's for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version