Upgrade RHEL 7.9 to RHEL 9 running with CMOD 10.5, ICN 3.x and WAS 9.0.5

(1/1)

Andreas Baaserud Hauge:
We are about to upgrade our CMOD environment running under RHEL 7.9, to RHEL 9

The following components are running on this Linux RHEL 7.9 server:

* IBM Content Navigator 3.0.11
* IBM Content Manager OnDemand 10.5.0.5
* IBM Websphere Application Server 9.0.5.13 ND
Does IBM software (ICN, WAS and CMOD) support in-place OS upgrade from RHEL7.9 to RHEL9 or should we make a new installations on a new Linux RHEL 9 server and make switch-over from old RHEL 7.9 server to new RHEL 9 server?

rjrussel:
While I think I understand what you are driving at, what does support mean to you in this case? Ideally, we always recommend new hardware/VMs. It is so much safer of a process. We also never recommend having all these components on the same server. ICN should be separate from the CMOD server.

Andreas Baaserud Hauge:
Thanks for your reply rjrussel,

--- Quote from: rjrussel on April 11, 2024, 09:55:50 AM ---While I think I understand what you are driving at, what does support mean to you in this case? Ideally, we always recommend new hardware/VMs. It is so much safer of a process.

--- End quote ---
Good question, I will try to list what I want to know(from top of my mind)

* Is it OK to do so from IBM point of view, or are we performing something here that could lead us "out of support".
* You say you recommend "new hardware/VMs", do you then have any experience where ICN / WebSphere / ODWEK would not function after upgrading the OS?

--- Quote from: rjrussel on April 11, 2024, 09:55:50 AM ---We also never recommend having all these components on the same server. ICN should be separate from the CMOD server.

--- End quote ---
We have ODWEK only on this server - bit unclear there yes.
CMOD / DB2 running on separate server.

rjrussel:
I can't speak for all of IBM -  8) - but it's fine.  I'd say our opinion is have a perfect backout strategy if the OS upgrade fails.

ok... This comment:

"The following components are running on this Linux RHEL 7.9 server:
IBM Content Navigator 3.0.11
IBM Content Manager OnDemand 10.5.0.5
IBM Websphere Application Server 9.0.5.13 ND?"

This led me to believe everything is on the same server.... Sounds like you have a good distribution, so all is well.   BTW: I just upgraded a server this week from 7.9 to 8.9. No issues. Your mileage may vary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version