Author Topic: Life of data and indexes CMOD 8.4.0.3 Storage Set Archive Storage Question  (Read 3101 times)

dj

• View Profile
Hi,
I am running CMOD 8.4.0.3 using OAM as the archive storage manager. I stumbled across a situation(s) in our environment.
We have application group(s) where the Life of data and indexes value is higher than the retention of the Storage Set.  Example:
Storage Set: 1096 days
Life of Data and Indexes: Expire in 1826 days
Expiration Type: LOAD
Cache Data: No
Database Organization: Multiple Loads per database table.

Is there any negative impact to CMOD if the Life of data and Indexes value is changed to 1096?
With the current values, is the issue that I will have indexes and no data? A search could list a document that cannot be viewed, doesn't exist?  Or, is there something more?  We haven't been on CMOD for more than 1096 days but getting close.     
Thanks,
cj   

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
Hi CJ

As per the IBM documentation,

Content Manager OnDemand and the archive storage manager delete the documents that expired index data points to independently of each other. Content Manager OnDemand uses the application group's expiration policy to determine when indexes and documents expire and should be removed from the system. The archive storage manager marks documents for removal based on the criteria specified in the archive copy group. However, you should specify the same criteria to Content Manager OnDemand and the archive storage manager. The Life of Data and Indexes, which is used by Content Manager OnDemand, and the Retention Period, which is used by the archive storage manager, should specify the same value.

See below discussion for more inputs.
http://www.odusergroup.org/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=508.0
So ideally you should keep the same value for both.

In the situation you mentioned below, when you would run the arsmaint after 1826 days, the indexes would expire.
But if you run the TSM expiration processing after 1096 days, the data will be removed from the storage device.

So after 1096 days the search would probably give you a hitlist but not a document.

Now the 'Life of data and indexes' setting is retroactive which means you can change the value now and it will be applied to already loaded documents and the future ones too.

But it is one of the best practices to maintain the same value on CMOD and the Storage manager.

This should fix any discrepencies.

My inputs are based on TSM but I assume that this is true for any other storage manager.

dj

• View Profile
Thank you so much for the reply and information.
I appreciate your help.
cj