Author Topic: LOADING/RETRIEVEING PERFORMANCE  (Read 3451 times)

hyuzen

• View Profile
LOADING/RETRIEVEING PERFORMANCE
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »
I had created an Application Group uses an application and a folder. I had set 3 database fields based on AFP file indexes. I loaded millions of records to the database. Now, I have to define 4th database field. And I have to create second ODWEK applications.

Shoud I use same application group with two different applications and two folders  for two different ODWEK applications in order to keep efficient performance ? Or what do you suggest ?

I basically carry out two processes on the database: loading at midnights and retrieving at any time.

Thanks in advance,
Huseyin

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
Re: LOADING/RETRIEVEING PERFORMANCE
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:08:23 AM »
From what I can think of, I would rather create two Application Groups.
The reason being if I add another field to the existing AG, it would create an extra column for the millions of records that are already inserted.
This would mean a wastage of space.
Creating 2 different Folders should certainly improve performance (although not significant if you have less data) as the number of tables searched for would reduce if you create two different AGs.

hyuzen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:29:50 AM »
Thank you Pankaj,

I am sorry to forgot to say that If I create 2 different folders I have load same data twice.

On the other hand let's say current ODWEK application work with A, B and C which are database field names. New ODWEK application will work with A, C and D database fields for the same data.

Could you please revise your suggestion under the light of extra information?

Best regards.
Huseyin

jeffs42885

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:32:26 AM »
What I usually do for something like your situation is version the old application group, copy it, renaming it to the old, and setting the report name to the same so it appears seamless to users.