Author Topic: How do you determine which messages are captured in your system log?  (Read 4050 times)

ALF

We are running 8.4.0.3 and z/OS 1.11 - I was wondering is there a config file or where is it set up to define which messages(message #'s) are captured by the System Log application? I can see that we are "logging" 30,32,82,87,88,201,242 messages. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Greg Ira

• View Profile
Re: How do you determine which messages are captured in your system log?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »
The only places I've seen where you can control what's being logged is in the Application Group "Message Logging" tab and in the System Parameters.  Selection isn't by message # but by action.

ALF

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
By "system parameters" - what do you mean - the ars.cfg, ars.ini or which file?

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
In the Windows Administrator Client, right-click on the server name, and choose 'System Parameters'.  From there, you can choose System-wide settings for logging.  Enable or disable the messages you'd like to appear in the System Log. 

For fine-grain control over Application Group specific messages, go into the Application Group of your choice, right-click and choose 'Update', then go to the 'Message Logging' tab, and select which messages you'd like to appear in the System Log.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

ALF

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:07:32 AM »
Justin - Thank You very much - that is what I was looking for!!!!  From looking at the options in there - it does not appear there is a section for userid updates. Specifically - I am the administrator and update someones ID and give them permission to view a document - there is not a log entry created(or can be created) - Is this correct or can that be enabled some where else? Basically it is an audit question to see who is updating ID's and what was updated.

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
When I go through the user to add permission to an application I get msg#56 and 36(viewable)  .  If I go through the Application group to add permissions for a user I get msg # 56, and 55 (viewable).

ALF

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
Greg - Thank You - I can see the 36, 55 and 56 messages in our log!!!!