Author Topic: utilizing the table space creation exit  (Read 4166 times)

markwilliams

utilizing the table space creation exit
« on: January 30, 2007, 04:01:57 PM »
we would like to utilize the space creation exit with db2 under zOS. Our dba would like to modify free space and other options such as compression. Has anyone utilized this, anything to be careful of, or any code anyone could share?

elweare

Re: utilizing the table space creation exit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:02:51 PM »
Mark we wanted to do the same but avoid the hassles of the exit. Instead in the configuration file you can specify the size of the index and data spaces in bytes. I can't remember the keywords right now but if you can't find it in the doc let me know and will get them for you. As to compression the way we deal with it right now is during the table reorg process. We have an automated process which determines which tables need to be reorg'd. When it is done compression is turned on automatically from that point forward. However in the upcoming maintenance release there will be another config option that will allow compression by default.

Ed

elweare@statestreet.com

Steve C

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 03:35:12 AM »
Hi Mark,

We have implemented the DB exit on z/OS.

Not really too tricky if you still need to do this. We used the exit to build combined indexes on certain main search values ("accout + date"  or ""transaction number + date" etc).
   From the user group last year this appeared to be in the pipeline as a feature in the future but it can take some time to make it through to the z/OS platform and we needed
   it as part of our OD390 migration last year.

Drop me a mail if you would like the details.

geoffwilde

• Administrator
  • z/os erm icn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 01:37:32 PM »
Compression is suppoed to become a parm in 7.1.2.8.
President, OnDemand Users Group
Lead Technician for Content Manager OnDemand @
US Bank
#zSeries