Author Topic: How do I migrate CMOD 7.1.2.8 on AIX to CMOD 8.5.0.7 on Linux?  (Read 5693 times)

bblunt

• View Profile
Current System:
AIX 5.3
CMOD 7.1.2.8
DB2 8.2
TSM: 5.3

New System:
RedHat Linux 5.9
CMOD 8.5 or 9.0
DB2 9.7
no TSM(cache only)

Plan:
1) Load new CMOD & DB2 on RedHat Linux server
2) Use ARSXML to export administrative objects from old CMOD 7.1.2.8 on AIX
3) Modify ARSXML output slightly to acchieve desired changes on new system
4) Use ARSXML to load administrative object on new CMOD on Linux
5) Create a batch process of ARSDOC GET commands to pull data from the existing OnDemand 7.1.2.8 install on the AIX system.
6) Create a batch process of ARSLOAD commands to load data from the existing OnDemand 7.1.2.8 install on the AIX system to the new OnDemand on the Linux system.
7) Repeat steps 6 & 7 until all data has been moved to new CMOD on Linux server

Questions:
Is CMOD designed to allow us to run an ARSDOC GET on CMOD 7.1.2.8 and run ARSLOAD on a CMOD  8.5.0.x system to correctly load the data pulled from the 7.1.2.8 system?

Is CMOD designed to allow us to run an ARSDOC GET on CMOD 7.1.2.8 and run ARSLOAD on CMOD 9.0.x system to correctly load the data pulled from the 7.1.2.8 system?

If this ARSDOC GET/ARSLOAD procedure should work for either version, should we move to CMOD 8.5 or CMOD 9.0?

If we use batch ARSDOC GET(old CMOD) and ARSLOAD(new CMOD) procedures, how can we ensure documents loaded into the new CMOD age off on the correct dates?    Basically, we?ll be getting 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, etc... year old documents from the old system and we want the new system to recognize them as 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, etc... year old documents when they?re loaded.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do I migrate CMOD 7.1.2.8 on AIX to CMOD 8.5.0.7 on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »
Hello bblunt,

Wow... what a lots of work.... really lots of work.... *sigh*.

I've performed such migration, and what we do it basically db2move from the database A to database B. This is much faster, and it takes a lot less time.

Ok, let's play your way by answering your question first. Then I will explain how I would have done it.

Is CMOD designed to allow us to run an ARSDOC GET on CMOD 7.1.2.8 and run ARSLOAD on a CMOD  8.5.0.x system to correctly load the data pulled from the 7.1.2.8 system?

Yes without problems.

Is CMOD designed to allow us to run an ARSDOC GET on CMOD 7.1.2.8 and run ARSLOAD on CMOD 9.0.x system to correctly load the data pulled from the 7.1.2.8 system?

Never tried... I'm not 100%, since the way CMOD is build, they have done a lot of work behind the scene, so it means that a arsload might not work for such a difference of version...

If this ARSDOC GET/ARSLOAD procedure should work for either version, should we move to CMOD 8.5 or CMOD 9.0?

I would say directly to V9.0.0.2

If we use batch ARSDOC GET(old CMOD) and ARSLOAD(new CMOD) procedures, how can we ensure documents loaded into the new CMOD age off on the correct dates?    Basically, we?ll be getting 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, etc... year old documents from the old system and we want the new system to recognize them as 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, etc... year old documents when they?re loaded.

It will not be a problem, since the document's expiration date is in a field, and it will be also exported. Meaning that CMOD will know that such date is already 6 years old (for example) and needs to be kept only 4 years instead of 10 years (in the case you want to keep your data only 10 years).

Now, depending on the volume of data we are speaking here, and where are the data stored in TSM (Tapes or not). I would suggest that kind of migration:

Plan B:

1) export the database from Source with the command db2move
2) do a db2look in order to have the layout of all the tables and tablespace behind.
3) check with a DBA is the old layout is still ok for the new system, if not adapt the output of db2look to be in sync with the new system.
4) Recreate the whole CMOD database layout with the correct db2look output (corrected in 3) (be careful with the database codepage)
5) LOAD the database to the Target system with the command db2move

At this point, you have a database 7.1.2.8 in your new environment, you will need to reorganize all your table manually, and perform the CMOD upgrade from 7.1.2.8 -> V8.5 or V9
After the migration you have in a few hours a running CMOD library server without any objects. The time to perform it is really dependent on the volume of the DB2 export.
You can at this point, begin to remove the different storage node in your environment, to recreate a storage node in the cache for each of your storage set.
You will need to keep the new internal ID of your new node for each storage set that you have used, in order to be able to modify all the segment tables in CMOD. (with a update table for each segment).

Depending on how big is your database, and the CMOD data model, you can do it normally in 1 or 2 days.

Then comes the big work. Export all the data from TSM to disk.
Basically you will use the command "arsadmin retrieve" on the source environment, and arsadmin "store" in the new environment.

For that you will need to extract the doc_name in your segment tables, for each application group, and when you have them, just reinject them in the cache of the target system.

I've been quite simple in my explanation, but you need to know very well the product, and then you will gain a lot of time for your migration. But there are also a lot of space to make mistake if one is not careful enough.
Your solution will work, but it will be the slowest and safest method.

I'm maybe more like a stuntman sometimes!!! :-D

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

bblunt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:21 AM »
Alessandro,
     Thank you very much for all the information.     Unfortunately, I don't think we know enough about DB2 or OnDemand to try the more daring approach.   We'll try the slowest and safest.   If that proves to be too slow, we might come back for a more daring approach.

Thanks,
Brian

CHYTU453

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:47:43 AM »
Hi Alessandro Perucchi,

is there any possibility of using arsxml in CMOD 7.1.2.8 to export data. please give the solution to export data.

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
is there any possibility of using arsxml in CMOD 7.1.2.8 to export data

No.

ARSXML is only for administration, not for data.

ARSXML was first available in 8.4.x, never in CMOD V7.

Ed
#zOS #ODF

CHYTU453

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:49:49 AM »
Hi Ed_Arnold,

Thanks for the quick help.

Now landed in to another issue. Currently we are doing a migration from 9.0 to 9.5.
For content migration we are using "arsadmin retrieve"  to  extract the documents and "arsadmin store" to upload the documents in the 9.5.

Despite of getting "successfully stored" , we are not able to view the document from on Demand User Client.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:34:54 AM by CHYTU453 »

niteskum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:19:52 AM »
CHYTU453...

you have just moved the object and not the metadata, you need to move the metadata aswell.   

CHYTU453

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:58:35 PM »
Hi niteskum,

Thanks for the help. yes it's working fine now.
            I have a small doubt on migration procedure? could you please clarify this.
            currently we have the CMOD v7.1.2.8 environment with db2 v8.1 . can we directly migrate the v7.1.2.8 to CMOD v9.5. if not
            please tell the actual solution to migration.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:42:37 AM by CHYTU453 »

niteskum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
CHYTU453,

how did you migrate the Metadata?

You need to move to 8.5 verison and then V9.5, it will be two step. There was some change at DB level in 8.5. 

CHYTU453

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 02:43:08 AM »
Hi niteskum,

Thanks for the quick reply.
               for cmod v8.4 can we migrate directly to v9.5.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:01:24 AM by CHYTU453 »