Author Topic: PDF File names  (Read 6035 times)

DDP021

• View Profile
PDF File names
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:13:14 AM »
Hi, we have an user group that wants to load multiple PDF's to OnDemand...The way the files need to be named are ApplicationGroupName.ApplicationName.PDF...The issue is they have MANY MANY files they want to send at one time....Is it possible to send many files to the ARSLOAD directory in OnDemand with the same name? As at test, using WINSCP, when I attempted to copy a file from my PC to the OnDemand directory, it indicated that the file already existed and asked if existing one should be overwritten. 

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
Re: PDF File names
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
Sounds to me like a Windows question/limitation rather than OnDemand.

And I think you already have your answer.

Ed
#zOS #ODF

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
I think you're right Ed!....Was just making sure I wasn't missing something!....;-)

Thanks for the reply!

Take care

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »
Okay, here's a solution that may not be practical --- inviting comment:

Can you send those files directly to z/OS SPOOL?  FTP to SPOOL?

Then all of those files can live in the z/OS SPOOL and then I think you wouldn't have to care about duplicate names.

Just load 'em from there.

Ed
#zOS #ODF

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:23:45 AM »
Ed,

These files are being sent via NDM...They are sending the files from their server directly to our CMOD Arsload directory.....The users are located in Germany

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
Ed,

These files are being sent via NDM...They are sending the files from their server directly to our CMOD Arsload directory.....The users are located in Germany

NDM?  NetView Distribution Manager?  If that's it then hmmm - not really familiar with it but I think it's about as fresh as the pyramids.

I don't know whether it has the capability of FTP or distribution directly to JES SPOOL or not.

Ed
#zOS #ODF

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
NDM - Network Data Mover, aka Connect:Direct, formerly of Sterling Software.

It's supposed to be a 'reliable' file transfer method with features such as pre-processing and post-processing scripts, restartable transfers, etc. etc.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Stephen McNulty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 04:55:15 AM »
If you are using NDM (aka connect direct) take advantage of it to preprocess the files to create unique file names before transmitting as an example, put in one more level within the file name instead of ApplicationGroupName.ApplicationName.PDF  try using ApplicationGroupName.ApplicationName.dateand time.PDF each file transfer will have a uniquee name.  I would also use it to post process the file name depending on the size of the file, I would normally send with a temporary name, and once the file is succesfully transferred, then rename it so that the automated load would pick it up.  This will stop failed loads due to a partial file.
#ISERIES #ODWEK #XML

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
Why not do this?
Ask the source systems to append one more qualifier at the end of the file name.
This last qualifier could be a time stamp.
So your problem with the file getting overwritten would be solved and it would be easier to track later as to which file was loaded when.

Thanks
Pankaj.

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
The issue with changing the filename (ApplicationGroupname.ApplicationName.pdf) to something else, (ex ApplicationGroupname.ApplicationName.0820.pdf is the file will fail:

arsload: Processing file >/prod/ode/cmod/arsload4/XTSPDFT4.XTSPDFT4.0820.pdf<
The application >0820< does not exist within the application group >XTSPDFT4<

Apparently something is defined in the ARSLOAD process on that directory (arsload4) that the file must have a strict naming convention...As you can see from the error above, it thinks 0820 is the Application Name where is is actually XTSPDFT4..

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
Another followup.....Tried renaming the file to:

XTSPDFT4.XTSPDFT4.pdf.0820

The file just sits there on the ARSLOAD4 directory...The ARSLOAD process seems to be just ignoring the file...So again, it appears the ONLY valid filename that is recognized is APPLICATIONGROUPNAME.APPLICATIONNAME.pdf (Ex XTSPDFT4.XTSPDFT4.pdf).  From what we've been told by our systems people is this can't be modified...If there is anyone out there that has any information to the contrary that we can pass along to our system's people that will allow the ARSLOAD process to recognize another file name format, I'd appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ewirtz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:26 PM »
Hi,

you have at least two possibilities:

1. running a script that picks the files and does a rename whenever possible (= current file is loaded by arsload).
2. if you are on Z/OS you can send the files p.e. with REXX to spool like Ed has mentioned.

regards

egon

LWagner

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
The autosys report generator sending PDFs to us places its parameters for each report in the file name, thus making each file unique.