Author Topic: CMOD 7.1 PDF indexing  (Read 7334 times)

Stephen McNulty

• View Profile
CMOD 7.1 PDF indexing
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »
Has anyone started using the new pdf indexing in 7.1?  Any thoughts to share on this.  For business reasons, I need to investigate storing our statements as PDF instead of AFP.  Are there any real world examples of the compression you now get using PDF resource collections?  What about processing time, does indexing/load times improve because of this, stay the same  or worsen?  I understand my mileage may vary, but I would like to get a feel for what others have experienced before I get to the point of installing and testing.  Thanks
#ISERIES #ODWEK #XML

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CMOD 7.1 PDF indexing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »
Hello,

I've tested with one customer the PDF Indexer with compression (meaning removing of ressources like AFP). And we could get something like 70% compression on our PDF samples.
The customer couldn't accept the solution for one single reason: PDF/A. Once PDF/A gets through the PDF Indexer and the ressources are splitted, then the PDF is a normal PDF without any certificate, all the added feature of PDF were also removed (like custom PDF indexes), etc... etc... So the retrieved PDF was from a visual perspective identical, but the content of the PDF itself was different.
The version was PDF 1.3 (normal for PDF/A) and the retrieved file was a PDF 1.8 or 1.9 don't remember...

So if you are accepting such behavior, then it's interesting, if you cannot accept that the PDF are lighter... then you must look elsewhere.

Concerning the performance, we didn't go that far so cannot say anything... maybe somebody else has something to say on that topic too? :-D

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML