Author Topic: Loading PDF Files using OS390 Indexer  (Read 5102 times)

niteskum

• View Profile
Loading PDF Files using OS390 Indexer
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
We want to use OS/390 indexer for loading PDF files.
1)Do i need to write any exit?
2) How will index values be picked?
3)  how can we achive this?

Greg Ira

• View Profile
Re: Loading PDF Files using OS390 Indexer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:11:12 AM »
No, it's not possible to use OS/390 indexer to load PDF files.  It's not capable of parsing PDF's.  You basically have two choices, purchase the PDF indexer which will do what OS/390 indexer does but for PDFs or use the generic indexer and generate the index values separately.

niteskum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »
Thanks Greg for reply,  Will writing any exit(Input,Index,ANY) help ?

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Nite - I don't know what you're asking here, but if you use the generic indexer format you can load anything.

Ed
#zOS #ODF

LWagner

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:33 AM »
Niteskum:

Please describe the general situation you have, with frequency, number, size of PDFs, if multiple documents to be split into individual documents, what indexes you want from the files.

Ed:

Has there been recent performance tests of PDF Indexer on z/OS vs on Windows ?

niteskum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:24:02 AM »
Nite - I don't know what you're asking here, but if you use the generic indexer format you can load anything.

Ed

Hi ED,

I want to achive PDF loading in ZOS with OS390 Indexer, with Generic Indexer i can load anything but here we need to specify the HFS file, wanted to use mainframe datset. 

niteskum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
Niteskum:

Please describe the general situation you have, with frequency, number, size of PDFs, if multiple documents to be split into individual documents, what indexes you want from the files.

Ed:

Has there been recent performance tests of PDF Indexer on z/OS vs on Windows ?

LWanger:-

General Situtaion is , we will get multiple pdf document in single file daily, which has to be archived.  In Gneric indexer we have to pass index file and that should be in HFS location.
Now my question is.
1) Can we archive PDF document with os/390 indexer? if not
2) IN generic indexer can we pass index and data file as MF dataset?

LWagner

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:58 AM »
Your multi-document PDF has to have a repeating trigger string to identify the start of each PDF document. I don't think you can use the Generic Indexer for this purpose, since part of what it requires is the exact byte length of each document, and its starting byte within the container PDF.  That may not be trivial to put in your .IND (generic index) file.  For the Generic Indexer, in Windows, the two files share the same name except their file extensions.

The only Generic Indexer use I am directly familiar with is as a result of migrating data from the z/OS CMOD system to an AIX CMOD system.  Each downloaded PDF, done by loadid, is broken up into all its individual PDFs. These we merge back together with a 3rd party PDF utility as one container PDF, and then loaded to AIX.

With CMOD version 8.4, the PDF Indexer on z/OS was too slow for practical purposes.  All Adobe tools are optimized for Windows, and the PDF Indexer is no exception.  The test PDF file indexed in a couple seconds from a Windows index server, loading to the mainframe CMOD instance.
I terminated the index job for the same PDF after two hours under z/OS.  I then asked IBM about this, and IBM advised us at the time to index PDFs from Windows, which we did.

If you haven't, you should download redbook IBM CMOD Guide for good summary documentation on use of CMOD. It has a section specifically on PDFs.  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246915.pdf