Author Topic: CMOD monitoring and alerts  (Read 8419 times)

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
CMOD monitoring and alerts
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:41:01 AM »
Hello,
We've been having issues that causes CMOD to stop running. In this instance it's a remote SQL issue and Libsrvr stops and needs a manual restart. The business area has been pressuring me to monitor the app and get notified if it's down. I've spoken to our vendor IBM and they say it can't be done. Well not officially anyway. Has anyone else been able to set up a monitoring / alert service for CMOD ? This sits on a Windows 2012 Server and the box itself is monitored through TSM but I need to see if the app can be as well, Is it possible ?
Cheers
Bruce McHendry
Business Systems Consultant

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: CMOD monitoring and alerts
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »
What's your enterprise monitoring solution?  Tivoli / Nagios / etc.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
Hi there,
We have Tivoli running on the servers for both heart beat and back ups. Problem is it's just that and monitored by the server team. They won't touch anything at the app level so that's where I'm stuck trying to see if I can find a solution and then do a proof of concept etc.
Bruce McHendry

jeffs42885

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
If ARSSOCKD goes down, can you have it send a page/email to your CMOD team and DBA team? That's what I've done in the past.

Many 4am pages  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 11:39:30 AM »
Thanks I'll look into that  ! And then have the team draw straws to see whose cell gets to be the alert target  :-\  Cheers
Bruce McHendry

jeffs42885

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »
We had a list.

Most cell phones have ignore buttons.

guess who cant say no :D

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
 :D  yeah that's usually me too but my wife usually helps change my mind :(
Bruce McHendry

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
Ugh.  It seems strange that an enterprise monitoring team would refuse to do app monitoring, since servers aren't of much use without the apps that run on them.  I've seen stranger things though.

Your best bet might be to use something like arslog to do the heartbeat -- if there hasn't been a single message in an hour, page out for an investigation.  It might be best to combine this with a simple arsdoc command that runs a query or retrieval every 15 or 20 minutes too.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 01:18:07 PM »
Appreciate the ideas ! Now I have something to take back to the team for discussion. It's been frustrating for sure ! Our infrastructure guys will monitor any piece of hardware you want but as soon as it involves an app they are hands off. Cheers
Bruce McHendry

jeffs42885

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
Ugh.  It seems strange that an enterprise monitoring team would refuse to do app monitoring, since servers aren't of much use without the apps that run on them.  I've seen stranger things though.

Your best bet might be to use something like arslog to do the heartbeat -- if there hasn't been a single message in an hour, page out for an investigation.  It might be best to combine this with a simple arsdoc command that runs a query or retrieval every 15 or 20 minutes too.

-JD.

Ive seen this done in a large distributed CMOD environment and it worked PERFECTLY.

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
Thanks guys ! Got a project meeting coming up in an hour and this will be on the agenda. Cheers
Bruce McHendry

jeffs42885

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 12:45:09 PM »
Just a little background on this.

We had a bad TSM sector back in 2006 on our contingency TSM node (When I was still in college  ;D) and the deal was every so often Tivoli would try to retrive a random document from a random set of documents that have a VERY tight SLA, and we'd simply pull it from the prod system and load it. It worked really well for those "Extremely time sensitive severity 1 code blue call the president if the file isnt there" kinda thing.

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
Good to know thanks !
Bruce McHendry

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 06:08:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions ! I'm working with my developer and IBM to see what's the best solution. I also found out there's a product in house that another area has been using called HP SiteScope. They've been using it for monitoring and alerts as well so I'll be looking into that too. Cheers
Bruce McHendry

jeffs42885

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »
Check out reville too