Author Topic: ICN and Java - Client Compatibility  (Read 4479 times)

CMODWiz

• View Profile
ICN and Java - Client Compatibility
« on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »
CMOD Forum Participants,

Java Technology Edition is in the jre folder under the ECMClient directory on our ICN server, a Windows server.

According to the readmefirst.win32 file, this is Java Technology Edition Version 6.

Many of our end-user web clients are running Java Version 8 in their client PC.

Our end-users invoke Microsoft Viewer to display listings found in a hit list, using their ICN-connected browser session.

As Microsoft Viewer is a Java application, there is a chance this may fail if the underlying support changes.  Thus far, it works!

How do we make sure the Java running under ECMClient on our ICN server is compatible with the Java Runtime Edition on end-user client PC's ???

Must we constantly be applying Fix Packs to our ICN ECMClient 2.0.2 ???

Thank you in advance for your comments.

CMODWiz

CMODWiz

• View Profile
Re: ICN and Java - Client Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »
Fellow Participants,

I shall reply to my own Posting.  Feel free to add your comments as well.

The reference entitled Planning, Installing, and Configuring IBM Content Navigator has a topic named "Administering clientmachines for IBM Content Navigator".

This says you must "...install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) software on the client machines".

It further says, "...the JRE software must be configured to never automatically update because it can update to a new release that is not supported".

Aha!  This seems to imply that end-users may need dedicated PC hosts for the IBM web client, otherwise Java may fail. 

On the other hand, those end users would not be using the latest Java available, which may be required by all of their other web applications.  What to do?

Comments?

CMODWiz

CMODWiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Fellow Participants,

I have referenced our ICN Ping page, and dumped release information.

Our ICN is indeed 2.0.2 and our ICN server uses JRE 1.6 (Hence this is "Release 6").

However, our end-user clients have JRE Release 8 and so far the Microsoft Viewer applet is working!

At one time, Microsoft Viewer was not working.  Then it started working again.

This is not due to the different releases of Java, but because our ICN servers are running on Virutalized Windows hosts, i.e. under VMWare.

I believe that our ICN server Hosts got their Java pages paged out, and could not come in soon enough.  Just got a generalized "Java Error" on the client PC.  But I believe this had to be a timeout.

Java now in frequent enough usage to keep those pages resident, hence no more timeouts between client and server starting Microsoft Viewer.

Comments?

CMODWiz

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 02:40:21 AM »
Hello CMODWiz,

As all the JRE included in CMOD, ODWEK and ICN for instance, you must NEVER use or apply any fix on it.
This is NOT used by ICN/CMOD/ODWEK at all.
The only usage of the JRE in ODWEK/CMOD/ICN directory is to let InstallShield to do its

If you have problems with a Viewer (Microsoft/IBM/Ricoh/...) this is NOT due to this JRE which is in ECMClient, but as you have found out, to some workstation/server missconfiguration/timeout/...

I hope that helps to understand the reason there is a JRE in ICN/ODWEK/CMOD.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML