Author Topic: ARSADMIN Unload VS ARSDOC Delete  (Read 9568 times)

PBastien

ARSADMIN Unload VS ARSDOC Delete
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »
We are looking into the differences between using ARSADMIN Unload and ARSDOC Delete.

The CMOD Administration Guide suggests:
- ARSADMIN Unload function will delete the storage objects and index data related to a LoadID.
- ARSDOC Delete function will delete documents from the system.

In our setup, we have an application group in which we have very few documents loaded per LoadID (1 document per LoadID).  In addition, we must maintain these documents in multiple test and pre-production environments (5 environments to be precise). So, in order to update 60 of these documents, we have to remove them before loading an updated version. That gives us a total of 300 LoadID?s to identify (60 LoadIDs X 5 environments). Note that this is a one-time (one-shot) maintenance task.

We are concerned with the amount of time required to identify all of these LoadID?s. We are considering using the OD toolbox to remove documents instead, but we require more info concerning the ARSDOC Delete function.

1. Does ARSDOC Delete remove the storage objects, or simply the index data? It has been brought to my attention that ARSDOC Delete simply removes the index data.
2. What happens when all documents have been removed from a LoadID using ARSDOC Delete?
3. Is there any way to perform a cleanup of leftover LoadIDs, objects or references?

We are running CMOD v.7.1.2.8 on an AIX Server and Windows Client v.7.1.2.8.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Pat Bastien  :-\
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:43:35 AM by PBastien »

Bill Dennis

Re: ARSADMIN Unload VS ARSDOC Delete
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
Months have passed since this post, but I wondered where the documents are stored?  TSM?  CACHE (file system)?

Regards,
Bill Dennis

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
Years have passed now..:)
But this topic is one of the most popular on this forum as per the stats.

As far as my understanding goes, in this particular case since each load ID corresponds to a single document, arsdoc delete and arsadmin unload would do the same thing.

The difference would be apparent when each load ID corresponds to multiple documents.
In that case arsdoc delete would delete only the documents (index and storage objects) that are identified by the query passed as an arguement.
Whereas, arsadmin unload would delete all the documents corresponding to that load ID.
Both these commands would not take much time to complete the operation.
It should happen in few seconds depending on the query passed and the size of data tables.

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:31:44 AM »
I'm not sure that arsdoc would delete the underlying storage object, even if a load only has one object.  If someone's willing to test it out and report back, it would be good to know.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:46:27 AM »
Hello,

as I've written a few weeks ago http://www.odusergroup.org/forums/index.php?topic=520.msg1290#msg1290 no it won't. At least not until version 8.4.1.X, maybe it has been corrected in 8.5.
But I've never tested it yet...

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML