Author Topic: PDF Indexer  (Read 5480 times)

Steve Lance

• View Profile
PDF Indexer
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »
How should I define the Application for line data going through the PDF Indexer?

mroutlander

• View Profile
Re: PDF Indexer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
Hi Steve,
Do you have any specific requirement for using the PDF indexer? I mean you could use ACIF or Generic just as easily.

Regards
AP

Steve Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:53:01 AM »
Currently, our programmers create reports on our Unix system.  They FTP the reports to the mainframe and then run an IEBGENER to move the report to a mainframe class that loads the report to OnDemand.  We thought we could stop the mainframe process and load directly to the PDF Indexer.  Or, is there a better way?

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:41:50 AM »
You would need to run ARSLOAD regardless of the indexer used so I'm not sure if it saves you anything. I'm a little fuzzy on what you're attempting.  You create reports on the Unix system, is that USS on the mainframe or an independent unix system?  Do they create PDF's or line data reports there?

Steve Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »
It is USS on the mainframe.  They PDFs and we can use the PDF Indexer to load the PDFs.  We thought we could use the PDF Indexer to load the line data.

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »
Ahh, Ok.  As long as you're pre V9.5 (PDF indexer on USS was deprecated in V9.5) and you've purchased the PDF Indexer (not included in base) it's definitely do-able.

Steve Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
OK, how should we define the application?

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 05:42:36 AM »
You'll need to add indexing to the application for PDF's.  If you have an acrobat license you can use the graphical indexer otherwise you'll need to use arspdump to map the text in the pdf (short syntax arspdump -f <input pdf>  -o <outputfile> -p <# of pages to index>>.  What you'll end up with is coordinates that contain the text in the doc.
In the view tab set datatype PDF if you have an Acrobat license otherwise use datatype of user defined with file extension of pdf.
For Indexer information use indexer type of PDF, it is basically the same as with other indexing except you use coordinates from arspdump instead of rows/columns:
Sample that will index the CMOD readme:
COORDINATES=IN
TRIGGER1=UL(3.30,1.10),LR(3.78,1.28),*,'README'
FIELD1=UL(1.85,1.59),LR(2.25,01.77),0,(TRIGGER=1,BASE=0)
FIELD2=UL(2.99,1.26),LR(4.01,1.44),0,(TRIGGER=1,BASE=0)
INDEX1='Doc_No',FIELD1,(TYPE=GROUP)
INDEX2='Doc_Date',FIELD2,(TYPE=GROUP)
INDEXSTARTBY=2

The PDF indexing section of the Indexing reference manual will give you a more detailed description of available options.

Steve Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »
We have been able to load PDFs through the graphical indexer.  We are trying to load line data through the PDF Indexer.

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
Ok, I'm still confused.  Now I think I get it.
You won't be able to use the PDF indexer to load the line data. The format is all wrong.  Your only choices are what you're doing now or use the generic indexer on USS.

Steve Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »
OK, thank you