Author Topic: ICN and CMOD on mixed platforms  (Read 5541 times)

kurtschwanz

• View Profile
ICN and CMOD on mixed platforms
« on: October 03, 2016, 06:11:39 AM »
Hello ODUG!

I've been unable to get ICN to connect to CMOD.     We have ICN deployed on Linux (Websphere 8.5.5), and CMOD installed on Windows.    ICN 2.0.3 fp 6 and CMOD 9.5.0 fixpack 6.

I've installed the Linux version of CMOD into a file mount the Websphere server can access, and it is this path I've configured in the ICN profile screen.   I've also added the custom property ODWEK_INSTALL_DIR in the CMOD section of ICN admin pointing to this shared location. 

When I try to connect to the CMOD repository, I get the oh-so-generic CIWEB2001 error, and I've not seen anything more helpful in the ICN log.   There's no firewall blocking it.

CMOD server is running and my own CMOD client for windows connects fine.

Anyone done a mixed platform deploy like this before?  Any suggestions?

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ICN and CMOD on mixed platforms
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:43:18 PM »
Hello,

I am not sure to understand your problem... such mix of platform is totally common... and there are no need at all to share any file mount with anything...
Windows, AIX, Linux, z/OS... everything is possible in any mix.

Basically you need to have that:

- 1 host (don't care about the OS) with CMOD server (ok... I care... please don't use windows.... :-( ok.. that's personal CMOD and windows... not good)
- 1 host (don't case again about the OS) with ODWEK, WAS and ICN installed.
- 1 Database for ICN (could be on the same host of CMOD, or same host as ICN, or even another host somewhere else and don't care about the OS either)

That's it!
The most difficult is the ICN configuration.
I would strongly strongly suggest to keep the standard path of ODWEK, and not change it.
If you still want to change it, then don't use the useless variable ODWEK_INSTALL_DIR, because with CMOD 9.5 it simply doesn't work ....
You need to have the following 2 variables:
- ARS_INSTALL_SERVER_V95_DIR
- ARS_INSTALL_ODWEK_V95_DIR

and both needs to point to the installation home dir of CMOD V9.5 (in linux /opt/ondemand/V9.5 standard path per default)

You need to ensure the JDBC / Data source is correctly configured in WAS for the database, and that the database is correctly created and filled during the ICN setup phase.

Ans then it should be working without any tricks/tips...

But clearly the most difficult part is the setup of your ICN... once you got it right, then it will simply work.

I know I needed at first to do the first installation at least 3-4 times in order to understand a bit and to make it work correctly in a proper way... but the first time... god... only frustration.

I hope that helps a little bit. Stick with the IBM documentation, read the what you see in the screens for the setup...

Regards,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

kurtschwanz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »
Thanks for the info and sorry this reply took so long - for some reason I don't get notified when someone replies to a post.   

We have gotten it working and, ultimately, there were two main causes.  One, installing to all the default paths seems to be a requirement.   Second, you have to install the GSKit, which is not a documented step in the info center. 

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:18:58 AM »
Thanks for the info and sorry this reply took so long - for some reason I don't get notified when someone replies to a post.   

We have gotten it working and, ultimately, there were two main causes.  One, installing to all the default paths seems to be a requirement.   Second, you have to install the GSKit, which is not a documented step in the info center. 

Well default path is not a requirement, but that's much more easier. I've done it many times without using default path, but it means that you must use configuration variables (ARS_INSTALL_SERVER_V95_DIR and ARS_INSTALL_ODWEK_V95_DIR) correctly. Otherwise it will NOT work.
But I agree, with default path you get less frustration.

Concerning the GSKit... I don't know where you don't see this is a requirement, and it is nowhere described. In the CMOD documentation it is written everywhere, that one of the pre-req is the GSKit installation: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEPCD_9.5.0/com.ibm.ondemand.installmp.doc/dodlx097.htm and in this link you've got the point:
Code: [Select]
Installing IBM Global Security Kit on Linux
Determine whether you already have GSKit installed on your system and, if so, which version of GSKit.

If you read the README of CMOD, it is also written there: https://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/IMA/06k67/0/readme.txt Chapter 4.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

kurtschwanz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 07:21:02 AM »

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
Not documented in the Navigator installation https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEUEX_2.0.3/com.ibm.installingeuc.doc/eucde013.htm

Yes and?
You are installing separate components, and you MUST read each documentation on each components.
That's how IBM is handling that... instead of repeating everything for everything, they expect the people to read the appropriate documentations.
That's why I have provided you the links on the corresponding documentations, to prove you that everything is there.
Again, you must read the whole thing, not just what you want to.

If you are not happy with the current documentation, please open a PMR, and explain how to improve the documentation.
Alessandro Perucchi