Author Topic: Archiving large Audio/Video files  (Read 3100 times)

Norbert Novotny

• View Profile
Archiving large Audio/Video files
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:30:50 AM »
Hi guys,
'm trying to archive a new file type Audio/Video, however the files are rather large (3+ GB). I have try with Generic index also have enabled the Large Object support, but not having any luck.
Can someone give me some hints on how to ingest a such file(s)? I would like to avoid slicing the files, if possible.

Thx a lot.
Norbert Novotny
Legal archiving - Swisscom AG

Mobile:  +41-On-request

Dev: #SQL, #Perl, #Java, #C

Interests: #CMOD, #Multiplatforms, #DB2, #Oracle, #TSM, #ERM, #Performance

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Archiving large Audio/Video files
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »
Large object support is for Text & AFP documents, so you won't want to use it for your User-Defined files.

Honestly, I don't think CMOD is a great place for these files due to their size.  CMOD is better at efficiently storing billions of small documents than it is storing enormous audio/video files.  The closest thing I can say I've done is storing MP3s of telephone calls from a call centre -- but even the largest of those files was only 10 to 20 megabytes in size.

If you have a Content Manager instance inside your company, you may want to store it there instead -- I've heard that large media companies (or huge companies with large media departments) are using CM for archiving this sort of data.

However, if you're locked into using CMOD for this, increase the compressed object size under the Application Group definition to the maximum (99999), and set the compression type to be 'disable' in the Application.

Please report back and let us know how it goes!

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
Hello Norbert,

if you look at the segment table, you will see 2 fields:

doc_len   (= Document Length)
comp_len (= Compress Document Length)

both are of the type INTEGER.

If you look at the DB2 documentation, you will see that the type INTEGER has a maximum value of 2147483648, meaning that is the max length of your file that you can archive in CMOD.

Here is some technote:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21170676

Regards,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Norbert Novotny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Hi Alessandro, good to see you are still around of CMOD  8)
Looking at the archiving of large files there is something about 123FAAA$ files but as I have understood these are to be used with AFPs (only?) this as I understood also refers to the tick box in APP Load setup called "Large Object". But yet, this could be just my misunderstanding of the respective field and surrounding process.

Cheers,
 N.
Norbert Novotny
Legal archiving - Swisscom AG

Mobile:  +41-On-request

Dev: #SQL, #Perl, #Java, #C

Interests: #CMOD, #Multiplatforms, #DB2, #Oracle, #TSM, #ERM, #Performance

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »
Hi Alessandro, good to see you are still around of CMOD  8)
Looking at the archiving of large files there is something about 123FAAA$ files but as I have understood these are to be used with AFPs (only?) this as I understood also refers to the tick box in APP Load setup called "Large Object". But yet, this could be just my misunderstanding of the respective field and surrounding process.

Cheers,
 N.

The $ at the end of the DOC_NAME means that the object is using the "Large Object" functionality. This is used by Line Data or AFP.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML