Author Topic: authentication methods for remote SQL database  (Read 1329 times)

bruce.mchendry

• View Profile
authentication methods for remote SQL database
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
Hello,
Environment is CMOD aqpp server on Win2012 server talking to an SQL 2012 DB on another Win2012 server. CMOD v 9.5.0.4

We recently had an issue after the SQL team swapped out our old server onto a new one. We got that resolved but it brought something to light. Keeping in mind that our 3 yr old environment was designed and built by IBM we've made few changes other than versioning up. When the server was replaced I was going about updating the server name to create the updated connection. I noticed that we had matching local ID's on both servers with each one having both admin and RDP rights. That works but the thing that our DBA mentioned was unusual was that the local ID was using Windows authentication not SQL authentication. I basically understand how this works but I was wondering :
1) does anyone else have a remote database, a local ID and what authentication are you using ?
2) is this a CMOD driven configuration by design ? I'm left to think that if the IBM architect designed it that way there must have been a reason.
My chief concern is if our Corp Security guys do an audit they will want us to remove the ID because of the RDP rights.
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce McHendry
Business Systems Consultant