Author Topic: How to setup a folder with different unique field for index-loaded data.  (Read 3235 times)

rjchavez

• View Profile
We have a need to view reports currently residing in CMOD/OAM in a different manner than being shown in current folders.  The data being loaded today has 2 fields; one is an index the other defaults to the current date/time value as the data gets loaded.   The folders have both fields defined which the user can use to search and make a selection.

We’d like to setup a new folder which would eliminate the index field and just show the “unique” date/time field for selection.  The problem we have is that the data is already stored using the index field so when a new folder is created with just the date/time field, duplicate entries are displayed.

Can I create a folder that shows the report by the unique date/time field without having to reload the data into a new Application/Application Group?

scottnys

• View Profile
If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you are "Breaking" on your Indexed field.  That is where your multiples are coming from.  If you are hiding that field because the user doesn't want it any longer, going forward you should remove that.  What we have done is to rename the original Application group and remove the BREAK on the new one that has the original name.  You would then make sure both applications are in the same folder.

With duplicate records (because of BREAK=YES), each record in the folder view display that you select will only display that part of the report, unless you have the "full report Browse" feature.  There are options to remove duplicates by entering a "Query Restriction" within the Application group.

rjchavez

• View Profile
Thanks for the reply.  Yes we are breaking on the index field but we do not want to change the current folder view but rather create another folder with a different view such that the index field is not there but I can see ALL of the report (without BREAKS).

I looked at the "full report browse" option in the Folder definition but that does not seem to have any effect on the viewing -- it only shows the report for the indexed item and not ALL indexed items.

scottnys

• View Profile
If you haven't used "full report browse" before, you need to click on a new button on the right side of the screen: "View Full Report".  This is just an OPTION made available to the user.  They will always need to pick the new button (annoying, probably).

Another thought.  When loading the report and breaking on it, you could use ODF to send the report back out to the spool and RELOAD it into another Application group.  That second AG won't have the breaking.  We have done that to overcome various challenges.

rjchavez

• View Profile
I have tried using ODF to spit out the report and load it back into a new Application BUT, the report has an LRECL of 32K in JES.  When the report gets loaded into the new Application, the line output goes from 133 bytes to 32K and it's extremely slow to page through -- any thoughts about this?

On the full report browse, I got it to work in the "fat" client but, what about WEBi?  I don't see the option there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:41:43 AM by rjchavez »

scottnys

• View Profile
We've had that too.  Is the original report defined in CMOD as VB?  does it need to be?  When ODF outputs VB reports, it seems to use the Maximum record length - for VB, that's about what it is.  If that is the case and it isn't avoidable, I've used one of our INPUT EXITS.  When using OS/390 and an INPUT EXIT, I could force the second Application to 133, FB. (the hoops we jump thru).
Another way of accomplishing the same thing would be to define 2 output cards in the JCL and send one copy to one application group and another copy to the other.  That way it won't matter.  May have to coordinate with JCL prod control people though.

//HSC125MH OUTPUT NAME='XXXXXXXXX',
//         FORMDEF=S0S00,PAGEDEF=SP1B    < WRITER=P11B >
//HSC125DM OUTPUT NAME='XXXXXXXXXX',
//         FORMDEF=S0S00,PAGEDEF=SP1B    < WRITER=P11B >
//HSC125A  EXEC EXEZTP,MEMBER=HSC125
//STEPLIB  DD  DSN=CORPL.HLTHSVCS.BTCHLOAD,DISP=SHR
//BSPWNERR  DD  SYSOUT=*
//CNTLCARD  DD  *
ALLB240        YDN0099N
//PRTFILE   DD  SYSOUT=(J,P11B),
//         OUTPUT=(*.HSC125MH,*.HSC125DM)

rjchavez

• View Profile
Thank you for the suggestions and information.  It's been very helpful.  Tried going the ODF route with the fixed length records.  Works great except, already loaded reports with variable length do not display correctly.  Any thoughts?

rjchavez

• View Profile
Thanks to your help scottnys I've been able to get what I needed done by coding an Input Exit as suggested.  It's a bit convoluted but it works!