Author Topic: Moving CMOD off of TSM server  (Read 2066 times)

Shannan

• View Profile
Moving CMOD off of TSM server
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »
We have a somewhat unusual set up for our CMOD system.  It was recommended to us by IBM when TSM (for Windows) started to use DB2 we had to move DB2 for CMOD and our CM8 Resource Manager to our CM8 Library Server instead.  CMOD is a pretty low use system for us - CM8 is much bigger and usage is much higher for us.  Anyway, we've made this work, but whenever an update to CMOD needs to be done, it does not like having the DB being remote (have worked with IBM multiple times and gotten it to work, but not ideal).  IBM suggested I move the CMOD db to its own db2 instance so I can alter the db2 settings for the upgrade without impacting our CM8 system or move CMOD.  If I move CMOD to the same server as the CMOD db, I have never accessed TSM remotely from another server.  How to I tell CMOD/TSM to access the TSM on another server?  (I'm better with db2, than TSM as our TSM use is pretty basic - just CM8 and CMOD objects).  (fyi - on cmod now, I realize there are many cmod commands that won't work with this set up, but I've always just reorg'ed my cmod db's natively via db2, etc... )

My environment is Windows Server 2008, TSM Server 7.0.1.72, TSM client 7.01.01, DB2 10.1 (soon to be 10.5), CMOD 9.0.0.5 (soon to be 9.5 as soon as I decided on whether its own db2 instance or move CMOD to same server as db2 db)

Any info would be appreciated! 

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Moving CMOD off of TSM server
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »
Getting CMOD to talk to a remote TSM instance is easy - just change the configuration of the dsm.opt/dsm.sys files to point at a remote server (via IP address or hostname) instead of 'localhost'. 

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Moving CMOD off of TSM server
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
Normally IBM recommend for CMOD to have the DB of CMOD on the same instance as CMOD itself.
This is for performance reasons.
Of course you can use the DB remotely (as the Oracle people loves to do for licensing reasons).

Concerning TSM, until V5.5 (the last version of TSM without DB2) it was common to have CMOD and TSM on the server.
Starting from V6.X and of course V7.X, it is not anymore advisable to use TSM on the same server as CMOD Server, especially because if you use DB2, that both the DB2 from CMOD and the internal DB2 from TSM could have conflict (there are tricks to avoid that conflict).
So IBM recommends to have CMOD Server and TSM as separate servers to avoid unnecessary problems/conflict.

So as Justin rightly said, you can simply give the hostname/IP of the TSM server by using the following entries in the ars.cfg file (or REGISTRY entries in Windows) file:

DSMI_DIR, DSM_DIR, DSMG_DIR   (location of your dsm.sys file)
DSMI_CONFIG, DSM_CONFIG and DSMG_CONFIG (location of your dsm.opt file)
DSMI_LOG, DSM_LOG and DSMG_LOG (location for your tsm log file)

and you don't need to use anymore the DSMSERV_DIR and DSMSERV_CONFIG entries.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML