Author Topic: Necessary CMOD Version to take advantage of PPD's when using the PDF indexer  (Read 2250 times)

Greg.S.Tank

• View Profile
Hi, we are running CMOD for i version 7.1 and are looking at indexing PDF's. 
I'd like to take advantage of PPD's however can't find the version of "CMOD for i" that this feature is supported. (It is clearly identifies that version 9.0 on multi-platform with improved benefits in 9.5 are supported https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21664089).

If it makes any difference we would be running the PDF indexer on a windows box and loading them into our CMOD for i installation for storage.

And for major bonus points..... :-)
1. Doesn't the PDF indexer just create an index(.ind), resource(.res) and output(.out) files for the loaded PDF,
      a. If so why does it matter what version of CMOD a user is using?
             i. Does the format of the .ind,.out and .res change in newer versions of CMOD?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
All the best,
Greg

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:13:44 AM by Greg.S.Tank »

greghidalgo

• View Profile
The ability to use PPD in a PDF input file  for indexing is available on iSeries - although as you said you were indexing on Windows platform, that is where you will be using the function.  And btw, 9.5.0.8  is available for OD for i with the latest group PTF SF99250.
I'm still working on the bonus question - an initial 'yes' seems reasonable.  But those .xxx files  would be temporary while indexing and loading takes place.  The impact of version may come into play if you consider patches that have come along as versions of CMOD move forward.

Hope this helps.
another Greg

After checking with a teammate:
Doesn't the PDF indexer just create an index(.ind), resource(.res) and output(.out) files for the loaded PDF,
Yes, that is correct.
      a. If so why does it matter what version of CMOD a user is using?
It matters because of APAR fixes that have been applied to the PDF indexer and the Adobe libraries. These fixes may or may not affect a particular customer.
             i. Does the format of the .ind,.out and .res change in newer versions of CMOD?
The format of the .ind, .out and .res does not change, but there can be changes in the load protocol. Our end user clients (32/64 windows client, ODWEK, etc...) can be a different version than the server but we always recommend that our admin clients to be at the same level as the server.
Hope this helps answer your Bonus question.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:52:58 AM by greghidalgo »
#odiseries #iOS

Greg.S.Tank

• View Profile
Greg you are the best!!!!
Thanks for your assistance and taking the time to answer my questions, this clarified everything for me.

Have a great summer,
Greg