Author Topic: PDF Report wizard  (Read 4321 times)

DDP021

• View Profile
PDF Report wizard
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
One of our admins is having issues using the PDF report wizard...After opening sample PDF from the CMOD Admin client, when the attempts to highlight the data (by clicking on and holding down mouse button on the upper left and dragging across to bottom right) it shows dotted lines around data...But after releasing mouse button, instead of it highlighting it with a black box, nothing happens....We are running Adobe Acrobate XI pro....We verified that the arspdf32.api is in the Adobe 11.0 acrobat plug-in folder...He is able to view PDFs from the CMOD client...Only issue is running through the wizard...We're running version 9.5.0 admin client...Any ideas what we maybe missing to check???

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PDF Report wizard
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
Is the data on the PDF image based, or is it text? I have seen this before.
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Joe Wolken

• CMOD iSeries Consultant
    • View Profile
    • OAS Corp.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
If you open the file in Adobe Acrobat and perform a 'FIND' on some text in the PDF file and Adobe is able to find this text then you know that you have a PDF file that OnDemand PDF Indexer should be able to also find.
#Installation #Upgrade #Migration #Administration #Integration #Customization #Training, and more!

Call: 512-402-1123
email: wolkenj@oascorp.com 
Click: http://www.OASCorp.com

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:05:33 AM »
Its definitely a PDF...He can PDF's in CMOD Viewer..Issue is when he launches the report wizard, selects PDF, selects sample data..It opens the PDF, but when he attempts to take his mouse and highlight any data, it shows a dotted box around it, but when he releases the mouse button, instead of it having a highlighted black box, it does nothing....Its like its a permissions issue with adobe..We both have Adobe Acrobat XI installed and set as our default application for .pdf's...I have windows 10 and I see, under the ADOBE folder an ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES group..But he its not showing under his Adobe Folder..He's running Windows 7...I found this on the web to try and add it, but didn't couldn't find the ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES group

Open File Explorer
Browse to "c:\Program Files " [repeat for c:\windows & users]
Right click and select properties
Select the "Security" tab
Click the "Advanced" button
Click the "Change permissions" button
Click the Add button
Click "Select a principal" link
Click the locations button and select the local computer
Add the All Applications Packages group name and click ok

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:18:10 AM »
Heres a tip, I had this issue happen after we converted from Xenos to PCL2PDF

issue an "arspdump" against your file to see the XY coordinates of where each text field lives, then try maybe manually adding them instead of using the gui/wizard.. Thats what IBM had us do a few years back. We eventually had to send the PDF to ..Datalogics I think it was..?
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »
We had a similar issue with documents that had been converted to PDFs after being created in another format.  Something with the way the PDFs were built really messed with attempts to index the document.  They looked and opened with no issues but either wouldn't let us select particular text or only allowed us to select huge sections of the text.  We had to have the group running the transforms redo their work.

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »
whats odd is its only the one admin having an issue..I can run the same exact PDF through the report wizard and have no problems....We've even tried different PDF's....Each one I'm successful but he has the same problem...

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »
We're running version 9.5.0 admin client...

Might be interesting to try the latest client, 10.1.0.1 as of this writing.

9.5.0.n also spans quite a few years.  9.5.0.what?  (Still recommending trying the latest 10.1 client)

Ed

#zOS #ODF

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
scary thing Ed is we're just getting to 9.5.0.....Had been running 8.4.....when this person had 8.4, and he tried to run wizard, as soon as he tried to do the highlight, his admin client would hang and then close...I remember his Adobe Acrobat was removed from his PC and he had to get it reinstalled...Just wondering if the reinstall was corrupted...But, as indicated, has no other issues with PDF's other than the Report Wizard.....

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Well, it's only happening on one box of many.

That one box had issues involving Adobe.

I'd say the gun is at a minimum heating up if not smoking.

Ed
#zOS #ODF

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 03:37:27 AM »
Agreed....I think our next course of action is to have Adobe Acrobat XI removed and reinstalled on his PC....Will keep updated...Appreciate, as always, the input!

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 06:47:31 AM »
well we had Adobe Acrobat removed and reinstalled on his laptop....The wizard STILL not working....Won't highlight any text on PDF...Just draws a dotted line around it, but when he releases mouse button, nothing....Thought for sure it was Adobe related....Especially when he was able to run the wizard successfully under 9.5.0 on his old desktop...And I'm ok along with another co-worker...Its totally isolated to his laptop...I have windows 10...But other co-worker who is ok is running windows 7, same as person who is having problem..Check security on both Adobe installs and they are the same....We also verified he has the arspdf32.api file in his Adobe plugin folder...Same date and size file as I have....we hoping someone else had this same strange issue...Attempted to Google it but can't get any results either...

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:41:26 AM »
finally have a resolution...although not really sure the cause/fix....what I ended up doing is, after he had adobe acrobat reinstalled, AGAIN,  I then removed CMOD v9.5...After doing the normal "uninstall" procedure it was still showing in his C:\Programs so I deleted the folder... I also went into REGEDIT and removed any instance still showing for V9.5...I also removed the arspdf32.api file from his Adobe Acrobat plugin folder...Had him reboot...Then did a new "clean" install of v9.5 software...Rebooted again...Then had him launch the administrator client....He then added a "New Server" and launched the Report Wizard, opened a PDF, and Voila' it worked!!!...Clicked on a text on the PDF, dragged across and this time, when releasing mouse button, it stayed highlighted...Again, not sure what the exact issue was..I still believe it was Adobe related as it (report wizard) wasn't working  with  CMOD version 8.4 either...And once he had adobe reinstalled, after installing v9.5, I didn't do any cleanup of the old CMOD software...So something didn't 'sync up' or didn't get installed properly...Just would have been nice to see some error...Main thing is its working now...thanks again to all who responded with their input!!!!  take care

Dave