Author Topic: Large Migration + Codepage  (Read 2871 times)

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Large Migration + Codepage
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:57:22 AM »
I am going to be migrating a system from 8.5 AIX to 10.1 Linux over the next few weeks...both DB2..our 8.5 uses TSM, and the 10.1 storage set is probably going to be cloud object storage.

I stood up the V10.1 environment with the proper codepage (1208 per the documentation). We are using 923 in 8.5..I am wondering if we can still migrate due to the differences in codepage

When I say migrate, I mean do a db2move, move over all tables, TSM, etc. Also, if our old version of TSM will give us issues..which I have a feeling it might.

Would a retrieve/load be easier?
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Lars Bencze

• CMOD Expert at Skandia
    • View Profile
    • INACTIVE - Bezland Consulting
Re: Large Migration + Codepage
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 12:56:33 AM »
Hi jsquizz,
I would say that it depends on how many documents are in the system. And of course a lot of other stuff, such as network bandwidth available, disk speed etc etc, but the fewer the # of docs, the more viable a retrieve/get plus load would be.

I am curious if you - or anyone else in this forum (ping @JD @Alessandro & co ;) ) have by now performed a migration from <any Unix> to RHEL 7.X?
I am about to do it, and customer requests if there are any reference installations who have already done this.
Any RHEL 7.x is interesting, this particular customer wants to move to RHEL 7.5 or possibly 7.6.
OnDemand for MP expert. #Multiplatforms #Admin #Scripts #Performance #Support #Architecture #PDFIndexing #TSM/SP #DB2 #CustomSolutions #Integration #UserExits #Migrations #Workflow #ECM #Cloud #ODApi

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:01:20 AM »
I've made codepage changes from AIX to AIX, but not AIX to Linux -- although I'll probably be doing that early next year.

The problem I had was that the customer was in Europe, with a local codepage for their 'extra' accented characters.  I ended up having to increase the size of string fields in order for the metadata to fit into the fields properly.  As I understand it, Unicode sometimes uses "double-byte" characters -- which means a field that contains a letter that is assigned beyond the 8-bit (aka 255) character limit takes 16-bits instead.  This means a field that's 40 characters long in the old codepage suddenly becomes 41 characters long in Unicode.  And if the contents of the field are already at the 40-character maximum length, the file won't load because the data won't fit in the field all of a sudden.

Please let us know how it goes!  :)

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Darrell Bryant

• Sed fugit interea fugit inreparabile tempus-Virgil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 06:30:59 AM »
For IBM i customers using UTF-8, we provide this advice, which I think applies to all platforms.

When storing indexes in a UTF-8 instance, it is important to note that some characters will use more than one byte when stored in a UTF-8 field.  Latin lowercase and uppercase characters [a-z] [A-Z] and Arabic numerals [0-9] use only one byte.  Accented characters might use two bytes.  DBCS characters might use two or three bytes.

When using the graphical indexer of the OnDemand Administrator client with a UTF-8 instance, the Indexer Properties dialog will be presented before your sample data is displayed.  You must set the Code Page to the value that matches the data being indexed.

When indexes are stored, they are converted from the Code Page specified on the Indexer Properties dialog to UTF-8 (CCSID 1208).  String conversion between code pages might result in an increase in the length of the string when data is loaded on the server.  For example, the OnDemand Administrator client might require two bytes to display a double-byte character, yet the server might require three bytes to store the character in the database.

When storing data for languages such as Greek, Russian, and Arabic, it is recommended that you create application group string fields that are double the length you would use if the instance did not support UTF-8.  For other languages, if your index values contain accented characters, you will need to make the fields longer.

When selecting a string, the graphical indexer will set the Field Length to the length selected in the sample data.

On the Database Field Attributes tab, the graphical indexer increases the string length to a size that is sufficient to hold the data that you have selected.  If you expect that other possible values for the field might require more space than Content Manager OnDemand calculated, you can override the length by typing a different number in the space provided.
#IBMi #iSeries #PDF #XML #400 Indexer #ASM

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »
Bumping this back to life with some new things.

Currently, in production we are running TSM 5.5 with a few centera nodes setup. We want to go to Spectrum Protect 8.1 on RHEL. I am wondering if this will work..keep in mind i've never done it this way--

export NODENAME filedata=all toserver=NEWSERVER
for each NODE we have defined

Any thoughts or advice on this approach?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:57:18 AM by jsquizz »
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »
Bumping this back to life with some new things.

Currently, in production we are running TSM 5.5 with a few centera nodes setup. We want to go to Spectrum Protect 8.1 on RHEL. I am wondering if this will work..keep in mind i've never done it this way--

export NODENAME filedata=all toserver=NEWSERVER
for each NODE we have defined

Any thoughts or advice on this approach?

Concerning your needs, so I would say CMOD 8.5 -> 10.1 is no problem, even from AIX to Linux. DB2MOVE is your friend here.
I prefer to use db2move export for exporting the data, and db2move load to load the data into the new server. I use db2look in order to create the database layout before launching db2move load. That way you can adapt if needed the tablespace etc...

Now for the TSM part, if you want to go to a newest version, my advice would be to use exactly your advice, so export nodename.

If you want to go to another device (S3, OpenSwift, ...) then the only way at my knowledge to do it as fast as possible would be to do a "dsmc retrieve" from your nodes, and then use "arsadmin store" to store the objects back into CMOD new storage area.
But for TSM, export nodename is the best way. EXCEPT if you want to change the type of node from Creation Date to Event based, and in that case, you must go to the export all objects from TSM to the new node in the new TSM.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML