Author Topic: ODWEK - Some PDFs Open Some Don't only way to resolve is reboot  (Read 2145 times)

jaronwho

I'm fishing here - I am managing an ancient legacy reporting system on Windows 2003 servers until our replacement (not OnDemand ) goes live... 
I have OnDemand 7.1.0.12 installed and indexes configured to load PDFs into a series of folders - view-able by end users via ODWEK (arswww.cgi). 

(I know, I know... we're over 10 years behind   :-[  )

On the back end - indexing and loading is fine - OnDemand ObjSrvr and LoadData services do fine...

Here's my scenario / situation - and hopeful that in your years of experience that you have encountered this, heard of this, seen this...and if you might know what causes it and how to fix it or work around it (without a full upgrade).

Here we go: 

A user goes to the OnDemand webpage and selects a folder and searches for a report ID and a hit list with hundreds of links to all the reports of that name appear and they click on one link and voila!  The PDF loads fine in the browser and all is well.   

Then a user searches for another report by name - same folder perhaps...get's that hit list, clicks on one of the links and they get a perpetual hourglass...  nothing opens - they click another link from the same list of this particular report - and no-go! - perpetual hourglass. 

Other report IDs or folders keep working fine... just this specific list of this specific report is completely unable to be opened...

On the back end, when clicking on the report(s) that wont open - at the moment of the click, AcroRead32 flashes in task manager and goes out - (on a good PDF open AcroRead32 appears and stays in task manager)

This has gone on for years - the only way we have figured out how to fix it is to reboot the Windows Server. 

So - something happens in the reboot that clears up - we don't know what -

I've looked for files, cache, acrobat api configs ini files that change or are replaced or unlocked in a reboot to no avail - I just know the reboot fixes it.

What I don't know, is if there's a condition or switch in one of the ars tables of the ARCHIVE db that is linked to the specific folder in my arscache directories that I could go to or some other thing say, in the registry that I could go to to make a change or whatever to allow my .pdf objects to open in the web page without rebooting the server.

Such a mystery.  Rebooting is more and more a bad idea asmy servers quite obviously are getting really really old...

If you've ever heard of such a condition where all reports open but some and there is a fix or workaround besides rebooting - kindly let me know

Thank you!

Jonathan Aronson

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ODWEK - Some PDFs Open Some Don't only way to resolve is reboot
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »
I think you already identified your issue. You're 10 years behind. Latest Windows/CMOD will probably take care of it.

Is this a production system? It is I am assuming. Does it happen in you lower tiers?
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Stephen McNulty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 04:51:39 AM »
I think I can remember similar problems...  just so long ago, not sure if it was the same issues.  my only suggestion, is that as old as your version is, you are still not at the last version of 7.1

If you can, I'd suggest you go to the last release 7.1.0.15 

ftp://service.software.ibm.com/software/ondemand/fixes/v71/7.1.0.15/readwek.txt
#ISERIES #ODWEK #XML

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:16:29 AM »
Yeah, re-diagnosing fixes that have already been fixed in newer versions of CMOD is a tremendous waste of time.  That time and effort is better spent moving to a newer version of CMOD where this issue is probably already fixed.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR