Author Topic: migration strategy for this environment database db2 9.5 to oracle 12.1.0.2.0  (Read 2050 times)

ramakanth

• View Profile
Hi Team,

Actually we are planning migration from different database platform for cmod .Below are the environment details.

Source System:

CMOD - 8.5
DB2 - 9.5
Linux- 7.4

Target System Environment is:

CMOD - 10.1
ORACLE:12.1.0.2.0
Linux- 7.4

Is their any  possibilities to move from db2 9.5 version to oracle 12 v, like moving meta data from from database versions .

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Curious about why you're moving from DB2 to Oracle?
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Norbert Novotny

• View Profile
To answer WHY to migrate from DB2 to Oracle, one good reason for all. Large companies like to streamline operations and that includes database services. To maintain a team of experts just for one DB2 while most of other DBs are Oracle and MS SQL based could be a nice way to reduce the cost.

I have done the migration of a smaller instance from DB2 Windows to Oracle Unix here are my key points:
  • Upgrade CMOD first while keeping the DB2 to V10. This step should be easy to do
  • Build a new vanilla instance of CMOD V10 using Oracle DB, make sure all is working well
  • Upgrade CMOD first while keeping the DB2 to V10. This step should be easy to do
  • Close all open tables using arstblsp -a1
  • For migration of system tables (ARS%) I have wrote a perl DBI script to facilitate Export / Import, which would cover CLOBs (ARSAPP table!)
  • As you have closed all seg tables, you can use arstblsp -a4 to create an empty schema table for each of your AGs at your Oracle CMOD. Note: In my case, I was not using SMS
  • Duplicate the tables in Oracle database as required e.g.: create table segtable1 as select * from segtableN where 1=2;
  • For segment tables use DB2 export to segtable.dat of DEL select * from segtable;
  • Use sqlldr utility to load CSV exports from DB2 of your segtables. Note: you need to do a bit of fiddle with date and times to get it right.

Well that's all in a nut shell.

Disclaimer at the end  8) : use all above at your own risk, all notes I have typed are mine from my memories, so some minor tweaks could have been left out unintentionally.

Good luck and enjoy
Norbert Novotny
Legal archiving - Swisscom AG

Mobile:  +41-On-request

Dev: #SQL, #Perl, #Java, #C

Interests: #CMOD, #Multiplatforms, #DB2, #Oracle, #TSM, #ERM, #Performance

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I figured it was something like that. I've seen lots of headaches with oracle, but I can see your reasoning.

Good Luck!
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING