Author Topic: INDEX FIELDS REFERENCE OUTSIDE OF THE RECORD  (Read 2290 times)

DDP021

• View Profile
INDEX FIELDS REFERENCE OUTSIDE OF THE RECORD
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
When attempting to load a large file (72MB) we received the following:
APK449S INDEX FIELDS REFERENCE OUTSIDE OF THE RECORD, FIELD# 6 INPUT RECORD# 1380465.

We are able to copy the file to NOTEPAD but with it being so large, its like finding a needle in a haystack where the bad record is.  Of course the 88 message doesn't show you what the exact line is that's causing the issue.  It gives the FIELD # which allows you to narrow down which index it is but its nearly impossible, even with specifying then index name, to find the bad record with it being so large.  Is there a way to somehow determine where the RECORD# is on the data file?  We've load over 200 files to this application and have had only 3 that have had issues.  The other 2 had the same issue but on different field names.

Appreciate any help.

Stephen McNulty

• View Profile
Re: INDEX FIELDS REFERENCE OUTSIDE OF THE RECORD
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »
I regularly work with large files in the 500MB - 1GB range.  And notepad does not cut it when trying to work on problems.  Try and use a more powerful editor, I've used Ultraedit for years, but I am sure there are many others with similar functions.  In a case like this, I would do a search (on the same value you TRIGGER on) in the editor with a count function.  And then use that to go the the #record  where you have the problem.  it could also be that your problem is that field is outside the record length.
#ISERIES #ODWEK #XML

DDP021

• View Profile
Re: INDEX FIELDS REFERENCE OUTSIDE OF THE RECORD
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:37:30 AM »
we finally determined the issue was the trigger we were using (ACCOUNT:) happened to fall sporatically on another page, ironically within the record range..So we just had to use a different Trigger field that was on the indexing page instead of using ACCOUNT:...We will need to find a tool for really large files in the event we have an issue like this again.  Appreciate the info!!!  Take care