Author Topic: APP GRP Field length  (Read 2308 times)

DDP021

• View Profile
APP GRP Field length
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:20:48 AM »
I THINK I know the answer to this question but figured I'd ask it anyhow to see if someone knew of a different way..

We defined a new application group...When defining things we ran it through the report wizard to get all the index informations...Which included highlighting the fields to get their length...Now we TOLD the data was always the same...Come to find out one of the fields is not longer (went from 6 to 8) so now its getting truncated....We know you cant just go into the app grp and modify the length as its grayed out...The only way we are aware of is to create an totally new app grp and modify the field length..This is a royal pain as we have to first rename the existing definition (app grp and app) since it has data already loaded to it and then create a the new definition under the original name so the data will load to it....Then of course map everything to the folder...Not sure if there is a easier way...Shame you aren't able to just modify the length on the existing field...Appreciate any input

Take care

Dave

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: APP GRP Field length
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
Hey Dave.

The snag here is that you've loaded data -- and you can't easily modify the size of the database table.  So you have to either export all the data and import it into a new Application Group (then map it to the same folder) or do what you mentioned - make a new AG and bind them together at the folder level -- but this has bad performance implications.

-JD,
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 05:16:48 AM »
Thanks Justin for confirming my "Fear"...lol...Just aggravating when you "test" with users prior using their own data (running it through the report wizard) to get all the needed indexing definitions and then have them load many versions before notifying you that this one index now has a different length now  >:(.....As always, appreciate your input!!!

Take care

Dave

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 03:11:33 AM »
Well to be honest, if I have such a change of length in a string field in CMOD, I change simply the size of the string in the database (table arsagfld), close the current segment table, and voila.
As long as IBM doesn't change that table layout. There are no problems, if you only increase the size.
Of course if you want to change old entries in the old segment tables, then... you need to play with alter tables, and so on.

In all cases, Testing Testing is your friend, as this method is totally unofficial :-) and not supported! But works like a charm!!!

Regards,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML