Author Topic: ODF Priority Processing  (Read 2229 times)

J9CMOD

• View Profile
ODF Priority Processing
« on: June 07, 2019, 06:08:23 AM »
We have a LOT of data going through ODF.  There are specific types (desitinations, recipients, etc) that we need to have processed at a higher priority than others.
Does anybody know of a way to set a priority on ODF processing?

Scenario:  5 high-priority sets are sent to ODF, then 5000 low-priority sets are sent, then another 5 high-priority sets are sent.  We can't wait for the 5000 in the ODF queue to process before it gets to the next set of high priority. 
We can't use any of the "time of day", etc, options to change the order of the sets that are sent to ODF but need to have the high-priority sets in the queue processed first.
Other than starting another ARSODF task to handle them, is there anything we can set in the system or in the distributions to indicate the priority for ODF to process them?

Thanks,
Janine

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
Re: ODF Priority Processing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »
Hi Janine -

First take a look at this very brief technote:

Question

How can ODF distributions be set up to be performed by ARSRPSUB as opposed to being handled by the ARSODF started task with no calls to ARSRPSUB?

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ibm10791199

I'll presume you're letting ARSRPSUBs do the work.

Perhaps if you had the ARSODF PROC itself process the higher priority dists they'd get done sooner?

Ed
#zOS #ODF

J9CMOD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Ed. 

We are using ARSRPSUB, but we can't have the jobname removed, allowing ARSODF to run them, because the high priority ones we need have to have the jobname for the Print room to recognize and process them. 
Am I able to select which ones use the ARSODF Proc, and which don't?  If so, I could try changing the ones that are NOT high priority to the ARSODF Proc, because we don't need the jobname on them, that just makes our lives easier.  And if I do that, will it then process all the Low Priority first, since ARSODF Proc is processing them, causing additional delays?

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:20:37 AM »
> Am I able to select which ones use the ARSODF Proc, and which don't?a

Only by the jobname/no jobname criteria in the referenced technote.

I don't know of any other possibility as far as favoring one distribution over another.

I would think anything you'd let the ARSODF started task distribute would typically run under a very high priority.

Ed

#zOS #ODF

J9CMOD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »
Thanks Ed.  THis is good info to know.