Author Topic: Why not FileNet for PDF Statements with IBM  (Read 1680 times)

tjspencer2

• View Profile
Why not FileNet for PDF Statements with IBM
« on: July 11, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »
IBM markets CMOD as an ePresentment platform - banking statements are a great example of a use case IBM touts using CMOD for.

Because I have 2 COLD storage platforms, one of which is CMOD MP 9.5, I'm thinking about getting rid of one of the two and cutting some costs and leveraging FileNet instead for the PDF statements use case.

Note: For my question, assume I'm storing PDF statements only and therefore gaining little-to-no compression savings on storage.

What is the "special sauce" that makes CMOD better than FileNet, for example, for storing and retrieving PDF statements via external web portal UI for a customer? 

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
Re: Why not FileNet for PDF Statements with IBM
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »
I know zip about FileNet.

You say:

I'm storing PDF statements only and therefore gaining little-to-no compression savings on storage.

If these are statements do they have repeating images contained therein (what we in CMOD-land call resources) that can be extracted and only one copy of the (for example, fonts and images) gets stored rather than x thousand?

Ed
#zOS #ODF

tjspencer2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
Ed -

That for sure is a good case for CMOD - thank you for reminding me of that!

This is indeed what I'm looking for - the Pros and Cons of one platform over and against the other for this particular use case.

TJ -

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 05:15:08 AM »
It also depends on volume.  Most of the customers that have wanted to move to CMv8 or Filenet for bill presentment have turned back after realizing that only CMOD can load millions of documents a day.  One proposed migration from CMOD to Filenet I was working on in 2012 showed we could extract their collection of over 1 billion documents in about 30 days...  but Filenet would take nearly 2 years to load them.  Maybe they had some configuration/performance issues in Filenet, but the migration got cancelled immediately afterwards.  :)

And you *can* get amazing compression with CMOD if your document production system produces PPDs, allowing CMOD to remove the resources and compress the remaining data.  I've heard customers can get 300:1 compression with statement-type PDFs.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR