Author Topic: tmp filling up quickly with retrieval  (Read 2522 times)

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
tmp filling up quickly with retrieval
« on: September 04, 2019, 05:48:42 AM »
Hi all, Middle of a migration- 8.5.0.6, AIX 6..

I am performing a retrieval of an entire application group on my test system. It's not really a big app group since it's a test, but prod makes me concerned.....But /tmp is filling up quickly.

Unfortunately, when this system was created, they used /tmp for ARS_TMP=/tmp .. easy fix though

I'm seeing tons of files like this, totalling over 5gb-

-rw-r--r--    1 jeff  image     311492189 Sep 03 15:21 21364738.5622.5623.596.ARSRESGRP

I'm writing the in/out/res files to an nfs mount, and all of them look like they are retrieving correctly. Of course, my script runs fine retrieving everything until /tmp fills up and then it cores out. Strangely enough- This only happens against this one particular application group with one application defined (afp stream from exstream).

I think that my "work around" is going to be define ARS_TMP to something like /ars_temp and make it a large file system..instead of trying to pick and pull and fix, especially since we want to get off 8.5, but that's just a work around. I'm sure in production I will see a much higher volume. My NFS mount is 10TB. So, maybe even I can place something like-- /nfsmount/tmp...? Not sure how that would impact performance either!

Whats everyones thoughts?
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

rjrussel

• View Profile
Re: tmp filling up quickly with retrieval
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »
It could be a byproduct of exstreams method for generating afp and its associated resources (fonts, pdef, fdef, etc). Ultimately, you need the space you need.  Not much you can really do about that.

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 05:54:26 AM »
It could be a byproduct of exstreams method for generating afp and its associated resources (fonts, pdef, fdef, etc). Ultimately, you need the space you need.  Not much you can really do about that.

I guess my best action here is to just modify ARS_TMP to point to something with much much more space, other than /tmp, which in itself is a bad practice.

rjrussel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:04:32 AM »
What is the command you are running to do the retrieves?

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:11:41 AM »
arsdoc get -u admin -h archive -acgNv -G APPGROUP -i "where doc_name = 'FAA1'" -o OUTPUT

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:50:06 AM »

I guess my best action here is to just modify ARS_TMP to point to something with much much more space, other than /tmp, which in itself is a bad practice.

So I modified ARS_TMP to point to a file system with a much larger amount of space. my ARSDOC process is still failing-

09/09/19 19:44:58 : 12 document(s) have been queried. Retrieving 12 document(s).
09/09/19 19:45:00 : The command is unable to write to the file: /tmp/21692582.5622.5623.599.ARSRESGRP  (ERRNO = 28)
09/09/19 19:45:00 : arsdoc completed.

rjrussel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »
Do you happen to also get a .ind, .out and .res in the output directory of your arsdoc get command?

rjrussel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:12:02 AM »
Let me also add that you should specify -d <dir> Directory to store files . I believe this will get the files where you want them to go (I am not 100% this will work and I can't test it because 8.5 has long since be out of support, worth a try though.).

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
Do you happen to also get a .ind, .out and .res in the output directory of your arsdoc get command?

Yes. both

Also, I'll try adding -d to my scripts and go from there. Thanks much RR!