Author Topic: Force Page Break for line data report  (Read 5157 times)

LCJR2468

Force Page Break for line data report
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
We are now receiving a data stream where it is line data with no formal pagebreak character or CC.
What they are sending is a heading line that has a 1 in column 1.  We've tried several ways to use triggers etc.  Is there a way to force page breaks without actual carriage control?

Bill Dennis

Re: Force Page Break for line data report
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »
Will the "Line Count" setting on the View Information tab of the Application definition work for this? It says it will force a page break.

spl

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »
I think you will find if you DO specify carriage control of YES, it will work.  The skip to channel is 1 by default.  Mind you, I think it may find every first byte is reserved for print control characters, in which case, as long as there is nothing in all the other bytes, it will work.  Alternatively, you can use an input record exit, which is a simple C program you can install on the server to modify the input records.  As long a you can recognise the new page, you can do what you want.  This means you could, for instance, modify the records to add a space at the front of all records (presuming this doesn't exist now) and leave the skip-to-channel as 1.  With CC=YES, this will allow pagination.  Ideally, you want to keep carriage control on as it allows OnDemand to use proper pagination with clients etc.  The only alternative is if you know all pages are exactly the same length in fixed number of lines per page (as per previous post).  Then you can use number of lines per page.

Stephen

8)

LCJR2468

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
We've tried the line count feature and it still does not break.  It treats all lines as one page.  In response to the second post, us do use the input exit (INPEXIT=/usr/lpp/ars/exits/acif/asciinp).  I'm not sure what this exit does, but we do use it on all line data input.