Author Topic: Maximum application groups mapped to a folder?  (Read 2093 times)

J9CMOD

• View Profile
Maximum application groups mapped to a folder?
« on: April 02, 2020, 08:28:54 AM »
Is there a maximum number of application groups you can map within a folder?  I am asking because we have a folder that has a large number of application groups in it, most of which only select specific applications within the application group, and I keep getting an error when I try to map additional AGs to the folder.  Although I am selecting the correct field and AG from the list, when I click on ADD, I get an error saying that it has already been mapped, but it shows me a different AG then what I selected.
I've searched the manuals and this site for an answer, and can't find anything.
I can, of course, split the folder out, but that would require additional information and training updates for all of my customers.

EXAMPLE:
Am trying to map fields for AG CORP_CST_I00_R3654_001.
Select database name and for that field and AG from the Application Group box (Note:  none of the fields for that AG have been mapped)
Receive error:  A folder fields with name xxx has already been mapped to the selected field in application group DMG_DMM_I00_R7400_002
Yes, it has already been mapped to THAT AG, but that's not the AG I'm trying to map it to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Janie

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Maximum application groups mapped to a folder?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:52:03 AM »
As far as I know there isn't a limit, as much as there are implications for performance that make queries slower and slower.  Adding more Application Groups means searching more tables with each query, and if the App Group has a lot of data or indexes aren't great, then each hit from an end user takes more and more time, reducing the total number of queries you can perform per second.

It sounds like you've hit a Client bug, or there's an issue with your CMOD install.

You haven't mentioned which version of CMOD (Server & Client), DB2, and z/OS you're running on.  That's important stuff when working on these sorts of issues.  Can you let us know?

Thanks.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

J9CMOD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
Thanks.  Yes, we know about the potential performance issues, but our environment and customer base require the setup we have chosen.  We have applied other processes to reduce the hit, such as a default timeframe in the selection criteria, which our customers know that increasing the date range can decrease the response time.

We are on 9.5, but are in the process of upgrading to version 10.  We hope to have the upgrade completed by the end of the month.

I will create a PMR for this, so we can determine if it's a bug in the system or our install. 

Thank you, again for your quick response. 
Janine

scottnys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Curious what a "large number of applications" would be? We've hit a high number of Index Data Tables when doing a search in a folder.  (160+ I seem to remember).  Forced to consolidate them. 

Gets a 13 record error "DB Error: {DB2 FOR OS/390}{ODBC DRIVER}{DSN11015}   DSNT408I SQLCODE = -101, ERROR:  THE STATEMENT IS TOO LONG OR TOO COMPLEX        DSNT418I SQLSTATE   = 54001 SQLSTATE RETURN CODE                                 DSNT415I SQLERRP    = DSNXOEA SQL PROCEDURE DETECTING ERROR                      DSNT416I SQLERRD    = -55  0  0  -1  0  0 SQL DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION             DSNT416I SQLERRD    = X'FFFFFFC9'  X'00000000'  X'00000000'  X'FFFFFFFF'                  X'00000000'  X'00000000' SQL DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION                      ERRLOC=5:10:2 -- SQLSTATE=54001, SQLCODE=-101, File=arsdoc.c, Line=2997"

J9CMOD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »
thanks.  We don't get that, or any error, it just won't allow me to map more AGs to the folder.
But, to give you some "just curious" info...
Most of our folders are much smaller than this, but on the "high" side, we have a handful of folders that have around 15,000 apps in them, but they aren't "viewed".  Those folders are there just to see if something loaded (looking at results), when there is an issue; they contain data that is sent elsewhere and is not viewable in CMOD.
We have a handful that are in the 10,000 applications range, but this is based on the needs of the customer, and they prefer the possible hit in performance over having to look in more than one folder.

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:23:45 AM »
You may have run into some internal architectural limits.  Many years ago, systems that had 80,000+ users were disappointed to know that UIDs and GID's were shared, causing problems.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR