Author Topic: db2move vs backup and restore  (Read 1296 times)

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
db2move vs backup and restore
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »
Looking at doing a migration between two boxes. I've only done the extract/reload method before.

One of the ways I did this back in 2015.. In a windows environment, was I used db2look/db2move to extract the old 8.5 tables to a fresh 9.5 box. After that, I just made sure the cache file systems are lined up in the config files.

My newest task is doing the same thing in a linux environment. One of my colleagues who is a db2 dba also, suggested doing a db2 backup and restore on the old db and restoring to the new. I'm confident it might work, especially because we are going from linux to linux. We also are only using cache file systems..But we have about 100TB.

Existing - 9.5 RHEL 6...?, DB2 11.1
New - 10.1, RHEL 7.3, DB2 11.1

Any thoughts on doing db2look/db2move vs backup and restore?

Thanks!
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

rjrussel

• View Profile
Re: db2move vs backup and restore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »
The readers digest versions is that when sticking with the same platform backup and restore works. It's when switching platforms that db2move comes in handy.

-RR

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: db2move vs backup and restore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »
The readers digest versions is that when sticking with the same platform backup and restore works. It's when switching platforms that db2move comes in handy.

-RR

Great. Thought so.

I'm assuming that once I get the backup and restore done I just need to use arsdb to upgrade the tables and do massaging that way?
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING