Author Topic: Loading of multiple MVS PS files into CMOD  (Read 1732 times)

apro

• View Profile
Loading of multiple MVS PS files into CMOD
« on: July 21, 2020, 01:41:37 AM »
Hello,

We have around 750+ different Tape datasets which need to be loaded daily in CMOD (ZOS). Initially we thought to route these datasets to SYSOUT spool with specific destination/writer so that the A and AG can be determined by CMOD. But because of the huge size of the datasets the spool volume gets filled up which lead to reject this approach. We see that ARSLOAD has the option to load by a DDNAME (with option -s). But that can be used only for one dataset. Since there are too many datasets to be loaded, so creating individual 750 jobs will not be a good approach. Is there any option so that multiple datasets can be loaded through parm or some other techniques. Or if you can suggest any approach to load these datasets that would be appreciated. Thanks

Mehmet S Yersel

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
Re: Loading of multiple MVS PS files into CMOD
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:52:18 AM »
Have you analyzed the file sizes? Do they arrive all at once? How many files are exceptionally large and when they arrive they take up most of the space? I have seen in multiple places I worked about less than 10% of the files make up more than 90% of the storage foot print. So, start with analyzing the data and finding the "inflection point" for when the spool could fill up if these files arrive at once. Once largest files are identified, load them via custom JCLs without sending them to  spool at all. Others could still go to spool if you are already set up to process with ARSLOAD started task. You can also talk to your z/OS systems programmers to beef up the spool to max allowed. I have done that in one of the migrations where we used z/OS download via spool to feed a parallel processing non-mainframe system that we were newly building.

Solution sometimes is a mitigation where multiple methods are used and not one is chosen versus the others.

Also, I have seen a lot of times that many files of similar content go into same AG/APP. You need to analyze that as well. If you see clusters of files with very similar naming pattern and content all go into same AG/APP, you can isolate these as well even if they are small files and feed them directly to CMOD with a JCL triggered by arrival of such files. This way, you can reduce number of JCLs you need to set up while bypassing the spool for as many files as you can.

In our business, data drives the process. You must analyze the data and determine best approach with what you find out.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:27:11 AM by myersel »
#zOS #Multiplatforms
#DB2 #OAM
#AFP #RiCOH AFP2PDF #SnowBound
#Finance #Telecom #Airlines
#ICN #IHS #WAS ND #Cert and Key Management
#Migrations #Data Modeling #RACF-2-CMOD Synch
#FileTek AMMO #ABI #RMDS #RADAR

Nolan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »
Ideally, you should have a PROC setup to run the ARSLOAD module.  You can create a few JCLs with a max of 255 steps per JCL, (I would do 8 JCLs).
If you are not using an EXIT to get the A and AG names, then you would pass those required values on each step.   Note that this assumes all the datasets are ready to go at the same time.

(More advanced method)
If you are more comfortable in OMVS, you can write a script or REXX to read an input file, then loop through running arsload commands directly from OMVS.  Then put the script in one JCL.

Many ways to solve the problem, you need to find the one that is best for your shop.
J.

#zOS #AIX #Windows #Multiplatforms
#DB2 #TSM #ODF #zODF #ODWEK
#CapacityPlanning #AFP #ReportDistribution
#Finance #ICN

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 12:05:38 PM »
Can you tell us a little more about these huge files?

Line data?  PDFs?  AFP?  Spreadsheets that you're trying to store into CMOD?

Ed
#zOS #ODF

apro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 08:43:57 PM »
Thanks for all your response !! It gives me a direction along with the further research as suggested by you.

The data seems like to be the consolidated file for all the states of daily transactions. They are purely line data.

Regards