Author Topic: CMOD Retention based on GDG like versions  (Read 1811 times)

apro

• View Profile
CMOD Retention based on GDG like versions
« on: December 24, 2020, 03:26:47 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have a requirement where client wants to retain the report versions similar like GDG versioning. Let’s say the maximum version has been defined as 5. So when a new version will be created the oldest version will get expired keeping the number of version 5. As per my knowledge, CMOD supports retention only based on the number of days. We suggested to convert this number of versions to in days (report generation frequency * number of versions), but they have many adhoc reports without any definite frequency. Does CMOD support retention based on versions or is there any other way to achieve this functionality. Any guidance will be much appreciated. Thank you and Merry Christmas !!

Mehmet S Yersel

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
Re: CMOD Retention based on GDG like versions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 06:53:17 AM »
CMOD only supports retentions in days. There is no functionality to map GDG based retention to CMOD. When we do migrations, this is one of the first thing we ask system owners to adjust: converting the GDG based retentions which some archive systems have into days based retentions.

I understand the business need and it makes sense to keep certain number of reports... but CMOD doesn't have this functionality. Maybe a new enhancement request is needed for this if it is critical for the business to continue having GDG-like retentions. 
#zOS #Multiplatforms
#DB2 #OAM
#AFP #RiCOH AFP2PDF #SnowBound
#Finance #Telecom #Airlines
#ICN #IHS #WAS ND #Cert and Key Management
#Migrations #Data Modeling #RACF-2-CMOD Synch
#FileTek AMMO #ABI #RMDS #RADAR

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
It should be possible to manage this with CMOD's Enhanced Retention Management and some custom code...  Set a blanket hold on all documents, then write a script to search the database and remove holds that don't match the criteria.

I'm not a z/OS guy, so I don't think I can help more than that.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

apro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 01:19:40 AM »
Thank you Mehmet and JD for your inputs !!

scottnys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 01:17:55 PM »
We just err on the side of saving a couple extra.  Generally, the number of GDG's is actually synonymous with Weeks, Months, days. (as a rule).  With CMOD compression, it's just easier to keep a couple of extras.  5 Daily GDG's, we would save a week or 2.  Many times the users will have a "oh, I wish I had just ONE more..."  Remember that it doesn't need to be obvious to the user.  You can keep a Month of them, but had the default date range on the FOLDER be 14 days.  If they don't change the date they think that is all there is.  Easier to keep a couple of extra's than try to RESTORE that needed report from "Somewhere".  Make sure the Folder is sorting on the appropriate Date Descending so they seem them in descending (newest to oldest).  Add a defaulting LOAD DATE if needed.