Author Topic: Data update validation  (Read 1754 times)

Lars Bencze

• CMOD Expert at Skandia
    • View Profile
    • INACTIVE - Bezland Consulting
Data update validation
« on: August 31, 2021, 07:39:58 AM »
NOTE TO ALL READERS: This article is NOT orthodox usage of OnDemand. Be warned.

Hey, we have an unfortunate situation where some documents residing in CMOD needs to have their metadata corrected. This is done (by a few privileged users) using the built-in "Update Fields..." functionality in the OnDemand Client.

This of course has multiple impact, one being the discrepancy incurred between CMOD-stored metadata and DB-stored metadata.
The one I wish to ask about however is the risk of PEBKAC ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair" ;) ) i.e. "human error" during data entry.

Has anyone implemented a well-functioning solution to validate the new data entered by these individuals? Like with a simple data mask, length check etc.

We currently do not have IBM Content Navigator in place, and I am reluctant to suggest a web service using the ODWEK Java API for handling this instead, due to that the size of such a project might be tough to squeeze in before the end of this year.
All suggestions welcome!

PS: Oh, by the way, we are NOT looking for a DDE/OLE solution.
OnDemand for MP expert. #Multiplatforms #Admin #Scripts #Performance #Support #Architecture #PDFIndexing #TSM/SP #DB2 #CustomSolutions #Integration #UserExits #Migrations #Workflow #ECM #Cloud #ODApi

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Data update validation
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »
Hi Lars.  :)

The only thing you can really do in this situation is rely on CMOD to send back an error message when you submit bad data (too long, wrong data type, etc.).  In terms of writing something to do data verification, you could do something basic at the server command line, but that probably involves almost as much effort as writing something with the ODWEK Java API.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Lars Bencze

• CMOD Expert at Skandia
    • View Profile
    • INACTIVE - Bezland Consulting
Re: Data update validation
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 01:35:04 AM »
Yeah, I figured. But sometimes some of you wizards out there have something up your sleeve that I haven't thought of yet, so I thought "well, no harm in asking". :)
Thanks JD!
OnDemand for MP expert. #Multiplatforms #Admin #Scripts #Performance #Support #Architecture #PDFIndexing #TSM/SP #DB2 #CustomSolutions #Integration #UserExits #Migrations #Workflow #ECM #Cloud #ODApi