Author Topic: Upgrade RHEL 7.9 to RHEL 9 running with CMOD 10.5, ICN 3.x and WAS 9.0.5  (Read 167 times)

Andreas Baaserud Hauge

• View Profile
We are about to upgrade our CMOD environment running under RHEL 7.9, to RHEL 9

The following components are running on this Linux RHEL 7.9 server:
  • IBM Content Navigator 3.0.11
  • IBM Content Manager OnDemand 10.5.0.5
  • IBM Websphere Application Server 9.0.5.13 ND

Does IBM software (ICN, WAS and CMOD) support in-place OS upgrade from RHEL7.9 to RHEL9 or should we make a new installations on a new Linux RHEL 9 server and make switch-over from old RHEL 7.9 server to new RHEL 9 server?
ABH

rjrussel

• View Profile
While I think I understand what you are driving at, what does support mean to you in this case? Ideally, we always recommend new hardware/VMs. It is so much safer of a process. We also never recommend having all these components on the same server. ICN should be separate from the CMOD server.

Andreas Baaserud Hauge

• View Profile
Thanks for your reply rjrussel,

While I think I understand what you are driving at, what does support mean to you in this case? Ideally, we always recommend new hardware/VMs. It is so much safer of a process.
Good question, I will try to list what I want to know(from top of my mind)
  • Is it OK to do so from IBM point of view, or are we performing something here that could lead us "out of support".
  • You say you recommend "new hardware/VMs", do you then have any experience where ICN / WebSphere / ODWEK would not function after upgrading the OS?

We also never recommend having all these components on the same server. ICN should be separate from the CMOD server.
We have ODWEK only on this server - bit unclear there yes.
CMOD / DB2 running on separate server.
ABH

rjrussel

• View Profile
I can't speak for all of IBM -  8) - but it's fine.  I'd say our opinion is have a perfect backout strategy if the OS upgrade fails.

ok... This comment:

"The following components are running on this Linux RHEL 7.9 server:
IBM Content Navigator 3.0.11
IBM Content Manager OnDemand 10.5.0.5
IBM Websphere Application Server 9.0.5.13 ND?"

This led me to believe everything is on the same server.... Sounds like you have a good distribution, so all is well.   BTW: I just upgraded a server this week from 7.9 to 8.9. No issues. Your mileage may vary.