Author Topic: Share of Experience: Several version of Admin client in one workstation  (Read 3893 times)

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hello,

I wanted just to share something I've discovered. Be informed that it is not supported by IBM officially. ;D

If you forget your windows workstation for a moment, and that you have a Linux workstation (in a VMware or any other VM, or if you're lucky a real physical linux Intel workstation).

Then with the software WINE (1.1.34 and above) you can run several CMOD Admin Client at the same time! WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator" (www.winehq.org).

For each of them, you will need to create a new Wine Prefix in order to have a clear separation of the registry, etc... but it works, and you can install all the version you need.

At the moment, I have one WINE configuration with the latest CMOD Admin client to play with, and learn, check what was corrected.
And I have another for customer which are still with CMOD 7.1.2.4, and with windows, I needed always to deinstall/reinstall/admin/uninstall/reinstall/admin/... well it was hell.

You can work without problem with ACIF Indexer, do the admin for everything, except for PDF...
Nothing with PDF was working (PDF Indexer), and with the CMOD client, I could not see PDF (Data Type: PDF or Data Type: User defined .pdf).
Well I can live with that limitation (well I have not yet work a lot to resolve it!).

Hope that can help someone in need (like it was for me!!)

If someone needs more info, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Alessandro

PS: Of course, the normal client works too with that setup!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:03:44 AM by AlessandroPerucchi »
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Share of Experience: Several version of Admin client in one workstation
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
Hello,

Ok, I have tested Client 8.5 in Linux and it works, but it requires some work, because the 8.5 installer is, using the WINE technology on Linux, buggy!

First you have to do as root      chmod o+w /

Then launch the setup.exe, and then when the installation is finished, you need to copy all the .dll files which are in / back in the installation directory of CMOD.
Then you can start the client or the admin with wine.

Hope this will be fixed with next wine release!

[Edited for news on the Linux side of the client :-D]
Well I have found that, many function in Wine are not ready... so practically... it can be started, but you cannot connect to a CMOD Server! Which is pretty not useable...

So with 8.5 Client, you can forget for the moment the Linux Client trick!

[PS: No, it is not a typo, the 7th Septembre CMOD 8.5 went GA, and 10th September CMOD went eGA -> meaning you can download it from Passport Advantage.
And if I am not wrong, you can ask for the CD the 15 or the 17th of September...
The doc is already online : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cmod/v8r5m0/index.jsp]

Cheers,
Alessandro
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:55:12 AM by AlessandroPerucchi »
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML