Author Topic: Creating a new System Log Application Group  (Read 3592 times)

rstockton

Creating a new System Log Application Group
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
We are having a problem with the Storage Set definition for our System Log Application Group and need to create a new one if possible.  I think we may have a solution, but I am not sure it will work with the System Log.  If you know if this will or will not work please let me know.

Run a ARSDOC GET process and copy all of the logs entries to a work area with their index information
Delete the system log application group and create a new one
Load the saved entries to the new log app.

I understand this should work with other application groups, but not sure with the system log.

Thanks,
RS

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Creating a new System Log Application Group
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:22:12 AM »
I'm going to challenge your original assumption.  What makes you think you need a new Storage Set?  I can't think of a reason for this off the top of my head.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
Hello,

I would also like to understand your problem with the current Storage set?

I have never done such "ARSDOC GET/ ARSLOAD" with System Log. I will try it later to see what happens.

System Log is quite special, in the fact that he has some documents stored AND index without documents behind... so I don't know if that will work with ARSDOC GET.
You should test is for some Logs with documents and with no documents... and see what happens!

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

rstockton

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:22:25 AM »
The need we have a different System Log is long and convulated so in a nut shell - we have redundant systems and the system log storage sets were setup differently.  One is setup to use the same storage set that other original applications are using, therfore it is pretty messy as these write to TSM and of course System Log writes every single entry to TSM causing a lot of space and IO usage.  We are just trying to make both the System Logs operate the same way.

Thanks,

RS