Author Topic: how do you migrate ondemand objects?  (Read 3392 times)

jw

how do you migrate ondemand objects?
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:46:16 AM »
Which approach do you use to migrate ondemand objects from one environment to another?

Background info:  AIX, ondemand 8.4.1.4

Options for migration:
1.  Use ondemand administrator (windows interface)
2.  ARSXML on AIX

Our shop use option 1, but I find that after the export and import, some permissions of users are lost on application group (for example, ADMIN user lost the document update permission after the migration).  I am not sure whether this is happening for all of you.  Would option 2 work better?  What is the pros and cons for these 2 options?

Thanks.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: how do you migrate ondemand objects?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
Hello,

This is one of the most frustrating behavior of OnDemand, and you need to understand once, and then you won't forget it... never !! (at least for me :-)

You have several objects in OnDemand, which depends on each other. So you need to know the hierarchy of each of these object.
Why? Because, it will explain why the permissions are not passed, or the folder mapping, or the storage sets, or... are not passed when exporting some objects from one environment to another.

The STRICT Hierarchy is the following

Level 0 (they depend on nothing else than themselves)
User
Storage Sets
Printer?

Level 1
Groups     (it depends on User)

Level 2
Application Group   (it depends on User, Group and Storage Set)

Level 3
Application (it depends on Application Group)

Level 4
Folder (it depends on Application Group, Application, Group, User)

Level 5
Cabinets  (it depends on User, Group and Folder)

I leave the Holds, because I've never used it, but logically they must be at level Level 3....

What does it means for you?
If you want to migrate object from one environment to another... your MUST follow the Level order, otherwise you will loose dependencies (ex: permissions, folder mapping, etc...)

Using ARSXML (at least in version 8.4.X) has the same "restriction"/philosophy.
But you can have in 1 XML, all the permissions of a user

(...)
<user name="test" ... >
</user>
<group name="XXX" >
   <user name="test" />
</group>
<applicationGroup name="YYY" ...>
   <permission user="test" ....>
</applicationGroup>
<folder name="ZZZZ" ...>
   <permission user="test" ....>
</folder>
(...)

What does it mean for you... either you follow the this restriction, OR you create you own tool that will consolidate everything and create only the objects that you want with all the depend object associated.
If you cannot, then you can do the following:

Copy the user (your example), and reapply all the missing permissions.

I hope that helps,

Cheers,
Alex
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

jw

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
Alex,
Thanks for the info.

If I understand correctly from your message, the permission settings should be OK if I follow the order of export that you mentioned.

When I do the export, this is what my export order:

1.  export user
2.  export group
3.  export storage set
4.  export application group (this will automatically export the application that associated with the application group)
5.  export folder

Is my export order not correct as I still missing the permission in the application group?

Thanks.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:49:01 AM »
Exactly :-) you got it !

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML