Author Topic: NAS storage support for Cache file systems  (Read 3739 times)

sandeepveldi

NAS storage support for Cache file systems
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
Hi,
Does CMOD support NAS type of storage? If yes, is anyone using the NAS storage for Cache file systems? How can it be configured in the "/usr/lpp/ars/config/ars.cache" config file.

Thanks in advance  :),
Sandeep Veldi

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NAS storage support for Cache file systems
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:41 PM »
Hello Sandeep,

You're question is more an infrastructure one. If you're box can mount a NAS storage... then CMOD can use it (automagically!).

So now you have your NAS mounted in your AIX system, how is it mounted? via NFS?
I'm nearly 99.9% sure it's NFS.

The real question is now, does it make sense for cache filesystem to be mounted on a NFS mount point for CMOD.

And for that question I'll redirect you to another post http://www.odusergroup.org/forums/index.php?topic=552.0

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

sandeepveldi

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:32:27 PM »
Alessandro,
Currently we are using SAN storage for Cache filesystems. I think NFS must be used to connect to a NAS type of storage. I was wondering more on a direct support for NAS solution by CMOD. How it can access the storage nodes that are configured on the NAS solution to store data.

Thanks
SV

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
Hello Sandeep,

CMOD is an archiving solution, as you already know. The only infrastructure options it knows are only 2 things (at least on the MultiPlatform side):

- "local" Filesystem
- TSM

And in "local" FileSystem, it's the normal OS Filesystem.
If you can map some external filesystem like SAN/NAS/remote Windows Share/remote Unix Share/... in order to mimic a local filesystem, then CMOD is happy.

CMOD doesn't know what to do with a "NAS", he doesn't know also what do to with a "SAN", he only knows what to do with filesystem.

That said, if you want to have CMOD accessing the storage node that are configured on the NAS solution to store data, then you must look with TSM or you need to mount your NAS device with NFS, then CMOD would be happy.

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

sandeepveldi

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:32:20 AM »
Alessandro,
Thanks for your inputs. That's the response I was looking for :)

Regards,
SV