Author Topic: Archive Retention (Grace Period):  (Read 4511 times)

rstockton

Archive Retention (Grace Period):
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
We keep documents in CMOD for 10 years, and I have a question concerning the numbers of days that should be entered in the Archive Retention (Grace Period): field for the Domain.  On our older groups we keep the douments for 7 years and the Archive Retention (Grace Period): is set for 365 days.  Should the Archive Retention (Grace Period) be the same as the data retention?

Thanks,

Russell

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Archive Retention (Grace Period):
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
If the archive retention in TSM is set for 365 days, you're not storing stuff for 7 years, you're storing for 1 year.

Rule of thumb, 7 year retention is 2557 days, 10 year retention is 3653 days.  Both numbers include the maximum number of leap-days possible.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

rstockton

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
Thanks Justin,

The Policy is set for 2,555 days retention, but the Archive Retention (Grace Period): is set to 365 days, and we are storing files for the 2,555 days.  See below.

Policy            Policy           Mgmt              Copy               Retain
Domain        Set Name      Class              Group             Version
Name                                 Name             Name
---------           ---------         ---------          ---------            --------
OD7YRPD       ACTIVE        OD7YRMG       STANDARD         2,555

tsm: TSMONDDR>q domain OD7YRPD f=d

Policy Domain Name: OD7YRPD
            Activated Policy Set: OD7YRPS
            Activation Date/Time: 02/10/10   00:09:26
           Days Since Activation: 554
    Activated Default Mgmt Class: OD7YRMG
      Number of Registered Nodes: 1
                     Description: OnDemand Policy Domain
 Backup Retention (Grace Period): 30
Archive Retention (Grace Period): 365
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
           Last Update Date/Time: 08/17/11   09:08:19
                Managing profile:
                 Changes Pending: Yes
           Active Data Pool List:

Thanks,

Russell

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »
Since TSM has a support bug free of the "Event Based" for deleting documents, we are using that setting in the TSM policy instead of the "Creation Based".

Why, because that way we have only 1 location to change the retention period. And some customers are changing their mind quite often!

That said, even in the Event Based policy there is a grace period, and for most of our customer it's around a few month, just enough to be able to retrieve the documents with the appropriate indexes.

But if for you 365 is the grace period, then apply it to every storage nodes.

If your question was: if Retention period = Grace Period ?
Then I would say, is the customer, or do you agree to pay for the data disk space for again the period of time for documents that are supposed to be deleted??

And then for some countries (like US from what I know), you must keep the documents for their legal life, but not keeping them after their legal life (at least not too long after they are supposed to be deleted.
There were some lawsuit concerning company that destroyed the documents too soon, and also when they haven't destroyed it in time!!

I don't know if my answer makes sense, I hope so!

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

rstockton

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:37:52 AM »
Thanks Alessandro,

If I understand this correctly the "grace period" is the amount of time the data is kept after it has been selected for deletion by the policyset which is 2,555 days.  The actual retention would be 2,555 + 365 = 2,920 days.

Regards,

Russell