Author Topic: Ingesting an EXCEL spreadsheet into ERR  (Read 13394 times)

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ingesting an EXCEL spreadsheet into ERR
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
what you could simply do... is to have

TEST.TEST.PDF = TEST.XML

and TEST.TEST.PDF.IND has the complete path of TEST.TEST.PDF

so at the end you will have that:

TEST.TEST.PDF   (which in fact contains the whole XLS but with a name without ending with .xls :-D)
TEST.TEST.PDF.IND (which is the same index but with the reference path to TEST.TEST.PDF)

and that's it... So at the end, both files are removed.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
Correct...We tested that and both of those files get removed...The issue is we are loading .XLS files, and the actual data file (ie test.test.xls) file ISN'T being removed from the ARSLOAD directory after it's ingested....Currently, with our PDF's, they send one file (ex test.test.pdf) and once it's ingested, it's removed....Guessing systems needs to define something in ARSLOAD to automatically remove .xls files after ingestion.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Hello DDP021,

by reading your answer, I get the impression I was not clear in my suggestion... so if I'm repeating myself and you've understood the first time, please forgive me in advance!!

what I wanted to say is that you don't need 3 files

TEST.TEST.PDF  < Empty file
TEST.TEST.PDF.IND < within this file I have the complete path and data file name (TEST.XLS)
TEST.XLS < Actual data file

You could do like that:

Remove TEST.TEST.PDF   (since it's empty you won't have any issues)
rename TEST.XML into TEST.TEST.PDF
Change the reference in TEST.TEST.PDF.IND so it points with GROUP_FILENAME: to TEST.TEST.PDF instead of TEST.XML.

that way, you will have exactly 2 files:

TEST.TEST.PDF
TEST.TEST.PDF.IND

and nothing else.

Is it clearer now?
Concerning the delete of files after the load is successful, maybe that's a bug, you might open a PMR by IBM for that.

Now, I'm just wondering, why do you want to use the name TEST.TEST.PDF ??? I mean if it's PDF, then it's not XLS, or anything else... why is that? That is just a test? Or is there something else behind?
Can't you create a new Application in your ApplicationGroup in order to be able to handle better XLS and have a better naming convention, like TEST.TEST.XLS and TEST.TEST.XLS.IND without faking the system with some PDF extension somewhere?
Or have I missed something???

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »
Alessandro,  I believe we finally have everything in place we need...There a basically 3 file types we are loading (CSV, XLS and TXT)...All 3 need to be opened in OnDemand using Excel...So I've defined the Application as User Defined with the XLS extension....I'm then using 3 files for the ARSLOAD funtion:

Example:

TEST.TEST.ARD  (Blank "Trigger" file)
TEST.TEST.ARD.IND (Index File)
TEST.TEST.ARD.OUT (Actual data file)

These naming conventions allow the ARSLOAD process to automatically run and delete all 3 files after successful ingestion...

I do have an off the wall question...This hasn't come up yet, but if the Application would want "breaks" inserted on the data when viewing the spreadsheets in OnDemand, is that something that is possible?...We enable the "Page Break" function on the Application Group for Line data which utilizes Carriage Control (1 in column 1 at the top of every page)...Obviously an Excel spreadsheet or txt files don't have that...So right now we are just loading the entire spreadsheet without and breaks...Just curious if we could the application would request we break after so many lines on the spreadsheet, if that default could be defined/set somewhere?...