Author Topic: Upgrade from 8.4.0.3 to version9.0 under windows-platform  (Read 5752 times)

zeus1996

• View Profile
Upgrade from 8.4.0.3 to version9.0 under windows-platform
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:04:35 AM »
Hello !

We have Ondemand for Windows 8.4.0.3 and Sql Server 2005 combination with TSM-Server 5.5.1.
Indexes are on Sql-Server and we have 4 Cache drives for documents.

Now we need a whole new environment for version 9.0 and Sql Server 2008 R2.

What is the right way to do this new environment.

Okey, we can copy the database and get the same amount of cachedrives to new environment.
But how can we move application Groups, Folders, etc. As you might know Admin client 8.4.0.3 is not compatible with version 9.0.

And an other weard thing, when you select a document from a folder, what does the link contain, i mean where is the information of the location and etc. I know its somewhere in database but even with Sql Profiler you cant get anything reasonable.

T:Zeus
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:38:03 AM by geoffwilde »

VAvandenBerg

• View Profile
Re: Upgrade from 8.4.0.3 to version9.0 under windows-platform
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
Zues,

When you move the complete database to the new server you also have the information about the AG, A and folders.

VB

zeus1996

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
Ok thanks, i'll try that, what about indexes in the database which point to documents in the Cachederves(4 pcs)
Do i have to have same amount of cache drives in the new environment as in the old one.

Somewhere in the database must be the link to the document, and the place where it exists.

T:Zeus

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:57:56 AM »
Hello Zeus,

Basically, you "just" restore your CMOD 8.4.X DB in the new Database on the new server . And then you follow the upgrade process:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21432774

Of course, for the objects, cache, etc... you will need to copy them also (if possible on the same location as the old server, that way it is the easiest).
Otherwise if they are not in the same location, you might need to modify some of the configuration registry.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro

Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

zeus1996

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »
Thanks, allthough i had to create the database first with the configurator while creating the instance, and after that restore the database. If i only created an instance and not the database creation with the configurator, i could not start the library server. I dont't know where it saves that login  information. Registry perhaps.
In general Ibm support does not say a lot of the upgrade process when moving to a new environment.

It works ok, but now i am wondering how to update the System log. Every other application group allows to update the old datetime format(update application group-->general--> advanced) to new style date/time fields, but system log group gives me an error "user is not permitted to perform the operation".
And yes i am system admin. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance, this site is better support than our ibm support  :)

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »
Hello Zeus1996,

Well, if you try to do it in the Windows Admin client, then I can understand that it could not work.

This is described in the README.TXT file which is inside the ZIP containing the CMOD V9.0:

To take advantage of the new date support in the OnDemand System Log and
    System Load Folder/Application Group(s) you can run the following commands.
    To take advantage of the new date/time formats, you must use V9 Clients.
    This includes, but is not limited to, the Windows Client,
    ODWEK CGI/Servlet/Java APIs, arsdoc, CICS, etc.

To update the System Log Application Group and Folder
        arssyscr -I <OD_INSTANCE> -l -u
      To update the system Load Application Group and Folder
        arssyscr -I <OD_INSTANCE> -a -u
      Where OD_INSTANCE is the OnDemand Instance Name.

Once this is done, older Clients (prior to V9) will not be able to query
    the System Log or System Load folders/application group(s).

Hope this helps :-)

And concerning the IBM Support... Well I'm from IBM, not from the Support team, but from the Services team, and until now, I was quite happy with the support of my IBM colleagues, and the best example is Edward Arnold :-) always giving lots of nice and useful tips for z/OS!

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

zeus1996

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:46:25 AM »
Thanks a lot Alessandro, weard allthough that typing in command prompt ARSSYSCR does not give -u parameter...
Only
-a System Load
-h <od_inst>
-I <od_inst>
-L System Log
-m System Migration
-o Output file name

anyway, thanks and ups, from Ibm  :), maybe i should more contact to the intl support instead of our own.

By the way, did you have any guess about the login information, i mean that i have to create the database with the configurator, and after thar restore the database from the old environment. i guess it does not matter.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »
Hello Zeus1996,

Well I think you know the "hidden" options of software? Well that's one of them!! It is written in the upgrade documentation, but not in the help of the command themselves :-D

Concerning the login information... I'm not sure to follow what you're trying to explain.
All CMOD user login information are stored in the ARSUSER table. Meaning that if you restore the database, it should have restored that table too.
When the restore is done, then you will need to do the upgrade process from 8.4 -> 9.0.
And since there were some heavy changes in the user login informations, then if you forget some steps or some steps were not correctly processes, then it might not work.

I have personally never used/seen MS SQL Server, so I cannot give many advices on it... All I can say is what I've done for DB2 and Oracle, and I expect it should work also for MS SQL Server the same way:

If I need to migrate a CMOD from an old server to a new one, then I will backup and restore the CMOD database from the old to the new.
Run the migration steps, and then it works nearly all the time (except for some minor things from time to time...).
I even recently did a migration from DB2 Windows -> DB2 Linux, using that method with success.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

zeus1996

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 01:30:29 AM »
Hello again, yes well, this combination windows and Sql-seems to work in the way that you have to create the database with the configurator first and after that restore the old database on the top of it.
Windows registry contains the instance information and other parameters in the Hkey-Local Machine->Software->Ondemand for Windows
It writes that information after creating the database with configurator. Without that it seems to be impossible to start library server which is quite obvious.

But this is not a problem, because restore can be done after configurators database creation.

And merry christmas and Happy new year to everyone.

And thanks Alessandro for the Tips with system log, should read readmes better  :)