Author Topic: Applications in Application Groups...  (Read 3575 times)

DDP021

• View Profile
Applications in Application Groups...
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:01:06 AM »
Question, does anyone know if there's a maximum number of "Applications" that can be defined to one "Application Group"...Currently we define one Application per one Application Group but were told that isn't the most efficient way of doing things...Just curious what what specifics should be taken into account when defining things....From what we are led to believe, you can define many Applications to one Application Group if the indexing and retention are the same...Also, to confirm, is it possible to keep adding new Applications to an existing Application group?..I've attached a screen shot of an 'dummy' Application Group showing multiple Applications defined to it....

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
Re: Applications in Application Groups...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:20:25 AM »
You rightly mentioned that there can be more than one application per group provided they have the same indexing (database columns) criteria and storage requirements.
To be able to add more than one application to an application group, you would need  to add a field in the application group and mark it as 'application id field'.
After you do that, you can make multiple entries for this app id field in the field definition tab in application group.
Next when you define a new application that you want to add to this app group, you would see the 'Identifier' fiels in the general tab populated.
You can then associate an identifier with a particular application.

I wish to attach screenshots, but unable to do so.

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:04 AM »
And if you want to add more applications later to the same application group, just make sure you make a new entry in the application ID field section in app group.

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:58 AM »
Thanks for all the info!...I was aware we need to be sure to have the Application ID Field Checked...I noticed, when testing, that when I went to add a new Application to the Application Group, the check box for the Application ID field was grayed out but it allowed me to add the Database Value and Displayed Value information for the new Application...We just were curious if there was a set number of Applications you can add to one Application Group...

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:41:52 AM »
You're realistically only limited by the number of combinations you can store in the field.  If you choose a string field with a length of 1, you're going to run out of AppIDs shortly after you run through the alphabet, numbers, and symbols on your keyboard.  If you have a string length of 8, then just using letters (say uppercase) and numbers, you have 36^8...  Which is...  2,821,109,907,456.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
Justin,  from the time of our conversion to 8.4 from ODE2.1, on the Application Group, a Field called "Description" or "REPORT_TITLE for migrated reports from the old system,  has been used as the Application ID field...Under the Mapping, the Database Value was set to the Application Name and the Displayed Value was set to the "Description" of the report (ex Transaction Report)..I've attached a screen shot of an Application Group that was setup at the time of the migration from ODE2.1..The old name (DOC16003) name was kept in place...As you can see, under the REPORT_TITLE field, there are numerous "Applications" defined to it..Up until now, when we've been adding new setups, we've been set up a ONE-TO-ONE with the Application Group name and Application name...We believe this may not be the most "efficient" means of defining things but rather if the Applications have the same parameters (indexes, storage) that they should be setup under ONE Application Group...And if going forward new Applications need to be defined, that are setup the same,  they would just be added to that existing Application Group?..Is this thinking correct?...